Live bypass preview in Direct Offline Processing

I come from other software where it is standard practice to compare the affected clip with the original clip on the fly so you can decide better/worse and make adjustments as you go. This is incredibly convenient. (Similar to A/B but you can compare to the original) It was just explained to me that Nuendo has you apply the effect before you can on/off bypass which means you can’t live adjust the effect and compare it with lack of effect. You can sort of do this with some of the effects like EQ by setting A to whatever effect you are trying and B to “flat”, but you can’t do this with every effect. Having a dedicated switch within DOP would be INCREDIBLY useful.

Also, it would be cool if clicking on an effect to bypass it put an x on it or greyed it out or something that most people would assume meant “off” rather than turning it yellow.

In many ways Nuendo is a super awesome program, but if it doesn’t do the very basic things people are used to, in ways that are obvious, it is going to be hard to get people to switch over.

I can hardly imagine that at the moment.
I do the A/B comparison before, by having the plugin as an insert effect. If I agree with the values, I drag the plugin into the DOP area.
I have very large dialogs. If I delete plugins in the DOP area, I have already waited 1 to 2 hours for Nuendo to finish. Nuendo would have to dump numerous copies in the background, and my projects would jump from 2 TB to 8 TB.

That is a super good idea - use plugin as an insert first then drag it to DOP. I didn’t even know you could do that.

That’s a valid workaround, as long as you use the plug-in in the first slot of the insert chain.