"live" composing in Dorico

Hm, you know what would be neat, is if you could overlay a rhythmic pattern onto a bunch of notes. For example

• Copy (first bar)
  • Select second bar
  • Paste Special - rhythms

Would take some heuristic AI but would be pretty cool. That way you could just enter block chords and overlay the rhythms onto them.

Again, easy to fix. Select bar 2 of the RH. Type 4, then ju (my alias for "set to upstem voice 1. Then select the D in the LH, Alt-N, and jd (set to downstem voice 1).

Once you get the hang of this sort of cleanup, it goes really quickly.

3 Likes

HOT DAMN! You’re making a convert of me …

OK, OK, that could work, a lot of music is of this form … hmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 Like

And copy-paste those slurs!

(I think)

Mein Gott! Works fine (though in reality I might just pull those)

Would be zippy to put this into a macro. On another thread I talked about the idea of chained jump commands, e.g. (imaginary commands to illustrate)

Dan, I can’t easily test this atm, but does it work with condensing? Meaning you take a big score, condense, then play into the condensed tracks. Most of my work is in an ensemble with individual parts, very little single line polyphonic.

I can see one of the reasons why this going wrong in bar 2: in the first beat the D overlaps with the top F which has a span of over an octave, so it decides that this would be difficult to play in one voice. Therefore it thinks it would be easier to play in the left hand voice. How would this actually be played? Long fingers, sustain pedal?

Left hand, as you say.

@PaulWalmsley, I don’t know how difficult this would be, but it would be really convenient to be able to make these kind of changes to hand distribution independent of polyphonic calculation. What I mean is, it would be helpful after the fact to say “actually, that note should be in the other staff,“ but of course by that point the polyphonic calculation has already concluded, so lots of ties generally ensue.

If we could adjust the split point measure-by-measure, perhaps, it would make cleanup much faster, and not negate the brilliance of the new polyphonic feature. Perhaps a “recalculate polyphony” function, or a “cleanup” mode that allows user to move selected notes to staff above or below, but with polyphony recalculated automatically.

The new smart split point feature is great, but of course it can’t parse every scenario.

1 Like

Two hands, lower two voices in left and upper in right. Here’s a scholarly copy I have, this would be the best way to notate probably

I can see how a recalculation function would be useful, along the lines of the requantize we already have. There currently aren’t any user visible options, but there are some parameters could be exposed. All possibilities for the future.

4 Likes

Ah yes, of course, I forgot it could have gone in the left hand. I think here there are a few different rules that are fighting against each other. I suspect there may be some small overlaps that could also be resulting in the extra right hand voice.

If you are able to play this in again and provide the MIDI file (which gets written to Dorico 4/MIDI Captures in the temporary directory (on windows, %TEMP%, on mac you have to type open $TMPDIR in a terminal window), then I can look at this specific sort of case when I’m next working in this area.

2 Likes

Here you go

capture 0010.mid (540 Bytes)

Gave me a chance to test the new import system, to make sure it’s the right one

Thanks for providing that.

1 Like

Specifications require 64-bit Windows 10 Version 21H2 (or higher) .I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1 - will Dorico 4 work with that?

I’m not 100% sure, but I would expect so, yes.