Live feels extremely half-baked and not ready for prime time

I’m experiencing several concerning “features”, bugs, and unacceptable limitations on top of the extremely disappointingly convoluted workflow. It feels like every other time that coders were left to develop the UI…absolutely NO regard for actual user experience. For instance.

1. Fader Values: Many faders have to be changed by clumsily sliding the fader up/down and hoping you land on the value you need (such as DMX mixer). There is currently NO way to simply enter the value you want in the corresponding fader value area above/below the fader. This is basic stuff right here…things we’re all used to in Cubase…but also in ANY other DAW.
  2. Persistent “Zombie” Video Views: I created a video view for lyrics…they never showed up despite being seen in the visualizer just fine. To get around this, I simply extended my desktop and sent the visualizer window to an extended monitor. Decent workaround…only now, a “Window 2” black screen pops up automatically over EVERY SINGLE SONG that I select…even after deleting the video connection and the corresponding video view. VST Live cares not…it just keeps on popping up that stupid video window anyway…deleted or NOT.
  3. Persistent “Zombie” DMX port". No matter what DMX interface I create/delete…down to there being NO DMX connections/tracks/items of any kind…ANY new DMX connection I make…will automatically assign my very first created DMX port…the one that doesn’t work at all…that one gets resurrected no matter what.
  4. STACKS (global or not) seem to have NO way to assign to an external send. Without this ability, how in the hell do I send my Audio inputs (like vocals) to my IEM system??

I feel like a Beta tester, not a customer. I’d gladly pay 3 times the cost of this product just to have it be fully baked. This is absolutely awful. The concept is GREAT…I LOVE what you guys are TRYING to do…but the execution is simply atrocious.

1 Like
  1. Sends are in the mixer (Stack sends are internal)

I found how to do external, Bolocho…and it just revealed more stupidity; You have to open the global stack that you want to use for external sends, click on the name of the “output” it’s going to and you will see a “create track”…if you get a prompt that says “you have another one…delete it?”…say NO (it will delete any provious progress you made making these for other songs). Then, within that new track, specific to a song, you can send to your external destination (for me, IEM). This “works”…except…sometimes it doesn’t actual send sound to your IEM…but if you close out the program and restart…then it will. Fun. Next…and this is awesome: You have to actually turn that track ON if you want to hear it in your IEM. So that means…unless you want to do that crap live in front of everyone…you need to make it a part of your start up process at the gig…to go through and activate/turn on…EVERY. SINGLE. Global Stem AUDIO. TRACK going to IEM.

Let me start out mentioning that a Song in VST Live can be best compared to an entire Cubase project. Thus, many functions are related to Songs (or often, Parts) but not the whole project.

1. Fader: we added text input for many faders and will check for DMX mixer, thanks for mentioning. But “Many Faders” eludes me. All mixer, Layer, and Stack faders have text input. Which else are missing for you?

You mean a view in the Lyrics tab? The term “video view” is usually used for exactly that (see Devices/Video Views), views for video tracks.

You see the Lyrics of the current Songs’ Lyrics Track by clicking the Lyrics Tab icon. If you don’t see that, go to “Views” (top right) and enable it.

The Visualizer (“Audience”) is an output device for the Lyrics Track so to show it in realtime. The “Lyrics” view (which can be “torn off” using the top right arrow like almost all other tab views) is an editor for the Lyrics.

More confused than before. Maybe it’s best if you describe a few steps of what you do, and what happens (or not) that you (don’t) expect. Try to avoid the term “video” if you are not refering to video track functions and views.

Ports are managed in “Devices/Connections”. Select the “DMX” tab and configure to your needs. A Connection has a name and an associated hardware port (sometimes a window or view like with the visualizeres).

A Stack is a submixer with an overall output channel, from which you can send to other Group, or Out Channels.

No you don’t. Just use the Channel in the Mixer to send from, either local or global Stack.

You don’t even need a track for that.

• once:

• Create IEM output port in “Devices/Connections” (name “IEM”, assign physical output)

• Create OUT channel in Mixer

• assign IEM on top of that channel

• global, or per Part:

• Create Stack

• assign Input port

• goto Mixer, locate Stack Channel, press “e” to see sends

• send to “IEM”

(This works just the same for Layers, btw).

Then you can also use “Devices/Actions and Shortcuts”, or the “Learn” function at the bottom to assign MIDI controllers to control sends of channels to be routed to IEM.

You can also create Groups routet to your IEM output and use those to group vocals, gits, drums etc.

Preferences/Audio/Save Track Monitor Enabled. But as said, you don’t even need tracks for Stacks unless you want to record them.

Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did create an output for IEM, but when I press “e” for sends, the only send I see are VST effects…nothing else. The only work around I have seen thus far, is to create an audio track in each song, with the input set to the input I created, the output set to stereo out, and the “send” of that audio track set to the IEM output I have created.

I have no “Save Track Monitor” option in preferences/audio. Closest thing I see is a drop down for “Track Monitor” with two options: a) No Playback and b) Playback.

“Save Track Monitor Enabled” in “Studio” tab of preferences.

Where do you press “e”? We talk about IEM, so press “e” in Channels in the Mixer. You get Inserts, and Sends.

1. Layer tracks are the only way to utilize VST synths - right?
  2. I would love to see a screenshot of exactly where you send both A) main audio output AND B) an external audio send . Because, I’m not finding this function anywhere…and without it…we have to decide if VST synths are something the audience hears (send to main output) OR send to IEM output. In other words: I’m either playing something for the audience to enjoy, but with no way to hear it myself…OR…I’m playing only for my own amusement with no way for the audience to hear it.

FOUND IT: In case it helps anyone else…unless you expand the mixer window, you won’t see an “e” on the channel that you can see audio passing through - but there it is there on the channel directly above it, that doesn’t show audio passing (so it makes it look like it’s not a relevant channel). I expanded the mixer view and then it was more visible…works now. Thanks!

What you mean “utilize”?

Hmm. I suppose I mean load and play them…live? Admittedly new to this platform, but I’m open to other interpretations in case I can glean some info from that.

Layers are MIDI processors with an Input and Output. Connecting the Input to some MIDI source such as your keyboard, and the Output to an Instrument such as a VSTi (e.g. Halion Sonic, Retrologue etc, or external MIDI device) is all you need to utilize VST Synths (VSTi). Creating a track for a Layer is optional.

Right. i.e…Layers…are THE way to use/play a VST synth. It’s not a trick question.