Local caesuras?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to create “local” caesuras that would only apply to the one staff where they’re created?

I’m writing a concerto and in a short, unmeasured cadenza I would like to add a caesura for the soloist. I tried “//” in the holds popover with ALT–ENTER, but that created a caesura in every staff and I certainly don’t want those showing up in the orchestra’s parts…

Thanks!

I’m not sure Dorico lets us at this point. Gotta fake it with Text…

Just wondering…wouldn’t you want the other players to get a heads up that there was going to be a pause even if it wasn’t theirs?

No, not in this case. They have to wait for the conductor (me) anyway!

I would like the option for local fermatas too. I had an organ score where all voices except the melody dropped out. Suddenly I had fermatas on empty staves and it looked absolutely terrible and I fussed with the options but couldn’t hide the [redundant] extras. Clearly I’m not going to hold a solo note at the end of a bar and continue the left hand and pedal across the barline. One fermata was definitely sufficient. And while one fermata might not have been “technically” correct, I’d like to exercise my composer’s license here.

Is there any way to accomplish this yet besides a workaround?

No, but if the "work-around is so simple, who cares? Use text.

Seeing as this thread’s so old and things have changed, two current quick options:

1. Replace one of the breath marks you’re not using (in the Music Symbols Editor) with a caesura.
  2. Create a custom Playing Technique that uses a caesura glyph.

Pros and cons: if you go with Option 1 you’ll get correct positioning, though you’ll need to attach to the previous note rather than the next note. You’ll have to lose a breath mark.
If you go with Option 2 you’ll have to position more carefully (not so difficult if you use the caret) but you don’t lose a breath mark. Playing Techniques can be hidden locally (from the properties panel) whereas breath marks can’t.

1 Like

Thanks Leo, I took care of it this afternoon with Option 2.