Local connection question.

Hi

I have downloaded the VST Connect Pro 3 demo.
Managed to connect my two computers using the LAN option and it worked great.

But when I try to connect with my friend living in the flat just opposite of mine (the same building), I get the message “Sorry you cannot connect within your local network”

It is probably some kind of local network. There is a big box downstairs, from which the internet and TV cables go to separate flats within the whole building. Is there a way to set this up or is it just not possible in this scenario?
The LAN button is dark in this case.

Your Neighbor is not on a LAN with you. As such, you will not use the LAN connect option. VST Connect Pro 3 login will generate a numerical code, two sets of Numbers separated by a single space. Your Neighbor is to enter this code into their VST Performer application.

The number your login generate is a connection address generated by Steinbergs server. When your neighbor enters the code/address Steinbergs server connects the two or you. And As I understand it, once you are connected Steinbergs Server drops out of the connection, having assisted in your peer to peer connection.

If you are connecting via LAN, VST Connect Pro 3 login will initially hit Steinbergs server and generate the code, but as soon as you connect with VST Performer on the LAN the code is dropped and replaced with the LAN connection address.

As I understand it, Steinberg can see their server activity regarding connection code request. Probably also status of connections regarding internet and LAN connection counts over given time periods. Lets them know how much their VST Connect Software is being used. But Probably not how successfully the Software is being used. :smiley:

Those in the know, feel free to correct me.

Hi

Thank you for your response

Your Neighbor is not on a LAN with you. As such, you will not use the LAN connect option. VST Connect Pro 3 login will generate a numerical code, two sets of Numbers separated by a single space. Your Neighbor is to enter this code into their VST Performer application.

That’s exactly what we did. After he entered the numerical code and tried to connect, he got message sayin “Sorry you cannot connect within your local network”

I’m not good at these networking things.

I think that Steinberg server sees both of us (or anybody within that building) as trying to connect from within the same network.

But that’s really strange. Are you sure that you use the PRO version? Either you are on the same network (same IP adress), then the Performer should have hilited the green LAN button provided Cubase or Nuendo with a VST Connect PRO plugin is up and running, and you should be able to select there (without any intervention of the connection server), or there are seperate IP addresses in which case the server shouldn’t complain.
Maybe the Performer overlooked the LAN button and you gave him the key and he tries to connect via the server? Then that message makes sense if you are on the same network. Performer should use the green LAN button instead. Or you try to connect with the VST Connect SE version? Else this makes no sense and we never came across such problem…

Hi

Yes, I am using the Pro version.

I tried to ask about the internet connection I’m using. I was told that I don’t have a fixed IP address, I’m just being assigned a temporary one when I connect to internet and all the communication goes through that big box downstairs (I guess it’s a central router with a fixed IP address, which is common for all the flats within that building)

Not sure if it makes any sense to you. I might be wrong with my explanation.

No, not at all, I guess I see now:

• to the outside, that router always has the same IP address, regardless of which computers are attached to it. That address sometimes changes, but in any case it is common to all connected (internal) computers
  • VST Connect requires for a local connection that computers are connected within the ‘inner’ network. This is usually the case if you have your own router and connect several machines to it, then they can find each other within the local network. If however the router is set up such that it prohibits communication between machines connected to it, then the LAN connection feature of VST Connect PRO fails because actually it is not a LAN.
    We are sorry but in this case there is nothing we can do. You will have to find the administrator and ask him to allow a local connection between the computers you want to connect.

Ok.

Thanks for the explanation

So,

connecting my two computers using LAN works fine.

The reason we are not able to connect is because we are part of a bigger, but stil a local network which is set up to prohibit communication between each other.

Do I understand that correctly?

Yes, appearently that is the case at your place.