Local Testing a Turn-Key Solution for a Client

Hello all,

I have VST Connect Pro 4 and The latest version of Nuendo installed on my desktop studio computer and I am trying to put together a turnkey solution with VST Connect Performer for a vocalist client who is not a techie at all.

I have an extra MacBook Air 2017 with with the latest VST Connect Performer installed and an external sound card and microphone. I have created a “guest” account name in MySteinberg for this laptop. I want to ship the laptop, soundcard, microphone and a decent set of headphones and talk him through plugging it all in on his end but make it as easy as possible.

To that end, I want to test everything for both ends AT MY LOCATION before I ship the turnkey package to my client. This way all he has to do is plug it all in, turn the computer on and launch VST Connect Performer. When I try to do this testing setup at my studio, I get the “Somebody tries to connect to you from within your local network. This is not supported.” message :frowning:

Short of tethering one device to my mobile phone’s 4G data and blowing through a ton of data, is there ANY way I can test this at home while connecting through the same cable modem? I’ve even tried hooking up an additional router and logging each device into a different router but they still see each other because they are connected to the one cable modem :frowning:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin

I’ve done exactly this a few times - they do need to be tech enough to plug in the microphone and set record levels etc.

Do you definitely have a PRO licence ? Cubase/Nuendo ships with an LE licence NOT a PRO licence. You need a PRO licence to connect via a LAN. A PRO licence needs to be bought and installed on your Steinberg Elicencer.

There is also a bug where LAN connection fails (i have it on two or three of my cubase/nuendo PCs) so you may be hitting this. It doesn’t use a lot of data, especially if you set the video/audio bandwidth settings to the minimum so you you won’t burn a lot of 4G data if you try to test via that method.

if you use the “ID” login rather than the MySteinberg …I find that simpler YMMV

Thank you for your reply, dr :slight_smile:

Yes, they can handle that much :slight_smile:

Yes, I purchased the Pro version yesterday (at 50% off) and have the license on my eLicenser. Both machines have the current version 4.0.42.240 (Public Beta). Under the “VST Cloud” menu in Nuendo (Version 10.2.10 Build 301) there are two items, “VST Connect PRO” and “VST Connect SE”. Under “VST Connect PRO” I select “Create VST Connect”

My desktop PC running Win10 Pro (Where I’m running Nuendo 10 and VST Connect PRO) is connected to the router via hard-wired ethernet cable but the MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.6 is connected to the same router via WiFi. Could that be the issue? There is no way to hard-wire the MacBook Air. I have also tried connecting with a KEY and I have also tried connecting with both machines logging in with unique MySteingberg credentials. Logging in with a KEY brings up an error message on the MacBook Air which says “Sorry, you cannot=== not connect within your local network. Make sure both sides use the same and up-to-date version!”. When trying to connect by logging in with unique MySteinberg credentials on each machine, I can see the respective user names on the opposite machines, I get the dreaded “Somebody tries to connect to you from within your local network. This is not supported.” message.

For now, I’m going to hold off on the 4G HotrSpot connection in the hopes that an answer may show up on this thread.

Thank you very much again for your reply :slight_smile:

“My desktop PC running Win10 Pro (Where I’m running Nuendo 10 and VST Connect PRO) is connected to the router via hard-wired ethernet cable but the MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.6 is connected to the same router via WiFi. Could that be the issue?”
Yes! Also it clearly states “Sorry, you cannot connect within your local network”. So: start both sides, do not (!) log in on either end, does the Performer show a blue LAN button? Then both ends are in the same local aera network (LAN) and you can connect directly using said button.

You can connect two computers connected on the same network using the VST Connect PRO plugin. One can be via ethernet cable and the other wifi.

NOTE: The host needs to be logged in first.

On the performer app where you login, under the tick the icon (which looks like a wifi signal icon turned to the right) should be blue. It’ll only turn blue if you are both on the same network and again if the host is logged in prior and using the PRO version of the app.

Click this and it will reveal the username of the host and there IP address on a pop up. Click this pop up to connect.

Note to KevinLacy. You can connect you MacBook Air via ethernet but requires an usb to ethernet adapter.

fuzzydude!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

That was the guidance I needed. This works great and now I can prep this system for my client!

I have friends and clients who contact me all the time with tech issues and they are always so grateful when I am able to help them. Well, now I know how they feel. You’re the best!

Cheers!
Kevin

You’re most welcome :slight_smile: