Locate When Clicked In Empty Space fails when...

Locate When Clicked In Empty Space fails when I click in an Automation Lane of a Disabled Track.

Works OK on the main disabled track or the audio lanes, just doesn’t work in the automation lanes.

Not an important issue but one I just noticed because it was bugging me when sometimes it wouldn’t locate and I thought it should. I had a disabled track with automation showing!

Mike.

edit… P.S. I’d also like it to work in the midi editor too please Steinberg :slight_smile:

I’d love click-in-empty-space to work on any empty space.

Yeah, you reminded me that it doesn’t work in the midi editor either. The number of times I click in the editors and it doesn’t do anything - I’m just so used to using it in the project window I wish it was there as well.

Mike.

+1. That’s exactly what I was thinking of!

the workflow for this could be improved. i was a bit frustated with the locating situation i made an external macro that enables me to instantly locate to whereever my mouse is, regardless if it’s on top of an event, in an ‘empty space’ or someplace else. way too great a workaround though.

Yes.

This is adding logical consistency and enhancing workflow. Can anyone think of a reason this behavior should stay the same?

Good luck getting it changed. I think Steinberg could dedicate an entire update to workflow, fixes, and making things more logically consistent. But they won’t, and the reasons are obvious.

Thanks.

Would you care to share the macro? The Youtube demo was all in the project editor. Will this also work in key and drum editors?

(edited…I meant project editor not audio editor)

+1

I don’t think this will happen without some kind of overhauling of the MIDI editors to use the same programming library frameworks as the audio and project editors.

i did it in autohotkey, it’s actually turned out to be many pages of code :confused:
it does in fact work in the key editor, and that’s what made it complicated (i have to be calling functions determining what the active window is, and if it is the key editor, then offset where the mouse is targetting; and also compensate for when you have moved the cubase project window, and so on and so forth).

i doubt this will make much sense since it’s tailor-made for my cubase (and is probably a bit ‘dirty’ because i never received any programming training)… but since you asked-- here’s an excerpt of the code that does just that:

#IfWinActive, ahk_group SteinbergSW
w::
	MouseGetPos, xpoz, ypoz
	SetTitleMatchMode, 1
	CoordMode, Pixel, Relative
	CoordMode, Mouse, Relative

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
	IfWinActive, ahk_group SteinbergSW, Key Editor
		{
		WinGetText, ActiveWinName, Cubase 7.5                               
		StringGetPos, notes_pos, ActiveWinName, Key Editor  

if notes_pos = 0              
				{
				ControlGetPos, xxxx, yyyy, w, h, Key Editor, ,				
				Y_Click := (LocateInRulerCoordinate+yyyy-20)
				sendinput, {click %xpoz%, %Y_Click%, 0}{click}{click %xpoz%, %ypoz%, 0}
				return
				}
		}	

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
		IfWinActive, ahk_group SteinbergSW, Audio Part
				{
				WinGetText, ActiveWinName, Cubase 7.5                 
				StringGetPos, notes_pos, ActiveWinName, Audio Part                   

if notes_pos = 0                 
					{                            
					ControlGetPos, xxx, yyyy, w, h, Audio Part, ,
					Y_Click := (LocateInRulerCoordinate+yyyy-50)
					sendinput, {click %xpoz%, %Y_Click%, 0}
					sendinput, {click %xpoz%, %ypoz%, 0}
					return
					}
				}

IfWinActive, ahk_group SteinbergSW, Cubase 7.5 Project
				{				
				MouseGetPos, , , id,
				WinGetTitle, TitleOfWin, ahk_id %id%

StringGetPos, notes_pos, TitleOfWin, Project

if notes_pos > -1
					{           
					ControlGetPos, xxx, yyyy, w, h, Cubase 7.5 Project, , 
					Y_Click := (LocateInRulerCoordinate+yyyy-48)						      					
					sendinput, {click %xpoz%, %Y_Click%}{click %xpoz%, %ypoz%, 0}
					return
					}

if notes_pos = -1                                      
					{            
					ControlGetPos, xxx, yyyy, w, h, Cubase 7.5 Project, , 
					Y_Click := (LocateInRulerCoordinate+yyyy-48)						     ,
					sendinput, {click %xpoz%, %Y_Click%}{click %xpoz%, %ypoz%, 0}
			    		return
					} 		
				}	

return

Thanks!

I won’t ask about it working in the Drum editor. :laughing:

ah, i never use the drum editor so i didn’t code for it.

Please could you post snap on/off using different keys code ?

Many thanks

It does work in Cubase 11, haven’t tried in previous versions.
You can avoid setting the ‘locate in empty space’ function cause that works only in project window so you can leave it disabled.
Instead go to ‘settings/editing/tool modifiers’ and under ‘select tool’ you will see ‘set position’.
By default i think it’s option+shift but i have set it to shift, so when pressing shift i can click anywhere in project or editor window and it will move the locator to that position. It works great!