Locating bundled Cubase samples : my bad...

This is the main thing that is irritating me working with Cubase : locating what should be recognized at first place. And don’t tell me about the Mediabay thingy : it’s completely useless, as I already made scan and rescan and re-rescan as much as I could, for every possible places, to no avail…

So, could someone give me the correct samples paths for the followings :

1. GA One : i.e., by selecting ‘EBM classic kit’, I get this error message :

Groove Agent ONE failed to locate 32 samples

Where am I supposed to find them ? And this is exactly the same kind of message that I get whatever the preset I try to select.

1. REVerence : i.e., by selecting ‘LA Studio’, I get this one :

Cannot locate Impulse Response File : LA Studio.wav

Again, where is it supposed to be as, the same as previously, all the REVerence presets are flawed with the same kind of message ?

Thanks for any enlightment, as neither the Operation manual nor the Plug-ins reference is of any help… :unamused:

1 place to check: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\

Groove Agent ONE 01.vstsound
Groove Agent ONE 02.vstsound
Groove Agent ONE 03.vstsound

As far as reverence goes I would suggest removing: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg*Cubase 6_64* folder and see what message pop up.

Hope this helps some.

_C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound_ is empty. A search with the explorer on these files also failed…

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64 → this means that I’m about to trash all my preferences. Any other solutions, as I would like to avoid having to reconfigure Cubase again and again (Window Layouts, Project templates, key commands, device setup and so on…) ?

Thanks anyway.

EDIT…

Found that in my administrator account (_C:\Users<admin>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound_) there were the following files that were missing in my current user one :

Drum Loop Expansion 01.vstsound
FCP_SMT_001_LoopMash_Loop_Set_01.vstsound
FCP_SMT_001_LoopMash_Loop_Set_02.vstsound
FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01.vstsound
FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_03.vstsound
Groove Agent ONE 01.vstsound
Groove Agent ONE 02.vstsound
Groove Agent ONE 03.vstsound

So, I copied it in the according folder of my current user account and guess what ? Mediabay refuses to scan this folder again, no matter if you choose ‘Refresh view’ or ‘Rescan disk’ : the _C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg_ folder remains orange with its subfolders (including the ‘Content’ one) yellow. What am I supposed to do, then ?

Another point : each time I trying to locate files, these have to be .wav or .aiff format. There are no such files available. And using the ‘Search folder’ button doesn’t do anything after pointing to the folder where the above files are located.

So, what’s left ?

EDIT 2…

Closed Cubase and, after relaunching it, went in Mediabay again, before starting any project : this time, Mediabay finally accept to rescan the relevent folders. Launching the project, no more error messages with GAOne and REVerence working as expected.

Phew… does this kind of gymnastic between different accounts is normal for a high end program supposed to be designed to work only with Windows 7 ? Suggestion : as each and every one knows, this OS is designed to be multi-users with different accounts. So, IMO, all the libraries and samples protected, thus not editable, should be placed by default in the _\All Users_ account, instead of this over-complicated user account dependency, or, at least, each user account should have access to all the resources installed from the start.

Is this so much asking ? :unamused:

Does Cubase not ask you when you install it if it’s just for you or all users?
Been a long time since I installed so I can’t recall, many programs nowadays do though.

No, it doesn’t, and I installed Cubase 64 bits just few days ago, so I remember it quite well. And all the problems start from here, as there is no documentation about where and for which accounts all the resources are installed (libraries and samples, mainly).

Does Cubase not ask you when you install it if it’s just for you or all users?
Been a long time since I installed so I can’t recall, many programs nowadays do though.

Yes it dous! See attachment.

Delta

Ah, nice one Delta, thanks :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:
Seems that I missed something important here… If so, I must apologize. But, truely, I don’t remember such a ‘Customize’ button and it is something that I’m usually careful at, as I don’t want to install anything useless, whatever the program involved.

But anyway, I’m feeling a little dumb, presently… :blush:

Yes, Cubase does indeed, but unfortunately many different Steinberg applications do it differently. Padshop Pro and its Gravity extension for instance have no customisation whatsoever. So, no choice, and the sounds are installed in my profile on the C:\ (SSD) drive - which was certainly not my intention! Some lining up between applications would be very nice.

Sure, but it doesn’t excuse the fact that I probably missed this installer feature for, successively : Cubase SL2, Cubase SL3, Cubase Studio 4, Cubase 4, Cubase 5, Cubase 6 and Cubase 6.5. And it is something that got on my nerves since I purchased my first Cubase for Windows version, circa 2004…

How did I went without seeing it at each upgrade process through all these years ? :confused:

by the way, on W7/W8 you can set the user and other library paths to another drive so that those installs go to your D drive (or drive of your choice). So, for me even when the installer gives no option, the libraries are all on my D drive instead of the SSD.

So you transferred them after install, and then you can point to that new location? Could you explain?

No, change where the (windows) libraries are stored by default BEFORE you do installs.

Open the library you’d like to change.

In the library pane (above the file list), next to Includes, click Locations.

In the Library Locations dialog box, right-click a library location that’s not currently the default save location, click Set as default save location, and then click OK.

Now your path … even if the program is installing to C:\users\my stuff … will be going to D:\whereever you set the library.

It’s one form of windows symbolic link.

Here is how my documents library is set.

Ah, I see what you mean now, it’s the default ‘My Documents’ location, more or less. I’m not familiar with the term Library on Windows, mostly because I use a Dutch version of it… Too bad I just did a complete reinstall of everything a few weeks ago. So I think I’ll leave things as they are for now, but it’s a good idea indeed to have the whole thing on D:\ or E:. Thanks for your help.