Lock Layout - Flow Titles move

I composed a piece of let’s say 100 pages an 10 different flows. Now I’d like to add an ‘Ouverture’ in front of the 1st page.
I chose ‘allow new flows on existing page’ in Layout-Options.
Now I go to ‘Lock Layout’.
Then I create another flow IN FRONT of my former 1st flow which will now be called ‘Ouverture’.
All fine, my layout stays the same after the ‘Ouverture’ flow, but all my flow titles don’t stay at their places. They move in the middle of another page or somewhere else. Why?
How could I avoid this?

Please try to help without letting me send the file. It’s impossible. It’s such a huge file. I’m sorry.

Thanx for every help…

1 Like

Ok…I think I know what the problem is. There are ‘page overrides’ for the flow titles. If I erase the page overrides and then do as I described it, I guess the flow titles stay at their place.

I’ll check that.

1 Like

Yes, erasing all page overrides, then ‘lock layout’ then adding an ‘ouverture-flow’, will do the job.

It’s just quite bad, because I had to make the layout for all voices before composing the ouverture. The orchestra wanted to have the score already.
So that means that I have to do all page adjustments again if I’d like to add a new flow…that’s too bad…
Of course I could just add another new file called ‘ouverture’ and the combine the PDFs of bothe files - but if I would have overlapping notes from the ouverture that would be a bad work-around…

1 Like

Why did you override the flow headings? Is this a global adjustment that you could recreate by editing the default flow heading template, preventing the need for page-specific overrides that can’t move when the music moves?

Editing the Default flow heading template in one project won’t affect other projects, you can just customize the current project as needed.

2 Likes

Hey Lillie - thanx so much (as usual),

I had the impression that the distance from the previous flow to the flow heading and the distance from the flow heading to the following flow was not big enough. So I adjusted as well some staves and the flow heading positions. That’s why I have quite some page overrides.
Is there a way to adjust the default flow heading position if you choose the ‘allow new flows on existing page’ option. I couldn’t find a solution for that.

1 Like

Ok…I think I’ve got the solution for that problem:
in ‘Engrave mode’ → pages → ‘insert flow heading change’.
I do this for the first page and everything should work as wished…

1 Like

You can change the default gaps above and below flow headings for the entire layout – see here:

You can then override these flow heading margins on a per-page basis using flow heading changes. Just remember that these are page overrides, and remain locked to the page, not the flow, and additionally apply to all flow headings on that page.

See also this depiction of the various margins in play:

1 Like

Hey Lillie,
thanx.

What I don’t understand:
When I ‘Lock Layout’ and I add a flow in front of my previous flows - why do i loose all staff-spacing adjustments which i made? I locked the layout ! why are the staff spacing adjustments not locked? what could i do to keep the adjustments?

1 Like

It only happens if i put a new flow in front of excisting flows. I don’t want my staves to be re-arranged.
i think ‘lock layout’ should include ALL adjustments (like staff spacing and and and).
It makes no sense for me, if I lock my layout and only some parameters are locked, but others are not and are changed when I’m adding a flow…

1 Like

Here’s information about lock layout – it’s more to do with locking the casting off. Staff spacing overrides can still be lost if the page number on which they occur changes. There are, these days, more circumstances in which they’ll be preserved, but it’s still not something I would personally invest much time in tweaking if I knew page-number-influencing changes were coming.

Much better to adjust your Layout Options to get as close to your ideal result as possible, such as changing flow heading margins, page margins, music frame margins, minimum vertical spacing settings…

2 Likes

Hey Lillie,

ok…thanx. In my special case I had to do staff spacing stuff (which u just always can’t avoid - even with changing the default layout options) before doing ‘lock layout’ because i had to deliver passages of the score before writing new passages. but it’s a very special case - so all fine.

1 Like

I mean things like this I don’t guess that i could avoid them with the correct default settings. I have to make staff adjustments:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-22 um 10.53.19

1 Like

I obviously don’t know the rest of the context, but I’d personally think about putting a system break in at 111, which might relieve some of that vertical stacking pressure; it would mean 119 can start a new system likewise, keeping that phrase more together.

But obviously, ideally those overrides would be preserved in more circumstances, it’s something the team is aware of. I was mostly wanting to make sure your staff spacing overrides weren’t mostly to do with moving systems further away from flow headings! Because that’s an easy win.

2 Likes