Logical Editor manual

Hello.

I only recently started using Logical Editor. Found it very useful but is there a list of what all the values mean/stand for? Like what is Value 1 and Value 2?
The online manual gives only a brief overview of the window and that’s it.
Is there any more comprehensive manual anywhere?

Thanks

The “WebHelp” version indeed only shows a brief overview.

Under the “User Mnanuals” section check the PDF version.

This lets you download the full Cubase manual with its 1300 pages. It is about 20 pages or so for the Logical Editor alone.

As a powerful tool it does indeed has a learning curve, but apart from checking out and altering the presets you just toy around with it. Remember your studio monitor volume if you play around with volume stuff and are not really sure what you do yet. Not accidently blasting your ears is a thing (didn’t happen with LE for me, but still remember my first evening learning the software mixer for my brand-new RME interface then ;))

There is much more than the overview in the online manual.

As for as your specific question, a search in the online manual for value 1 finds the exact answer.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v11/en/search.html?searchQuery=value+1

I haven’t even realized that yet, but it’s actually true: The Logical Editor requires more than just musical knowledge. In order to be able to use this editor in a meaningful way, you have to be relatively familiar with the MIDI protocol. This protocol is a purely technical matter. Not a problem for me, I grew up with it.
But the Logical Editor is hardly usable for newcomers without this background knowledge. Software like Cubase could provide significantly more support and offer plain text instead of uncommitted variables like Value 1 or Value 2. With some data types this is implemented in a more or less understandable way, but with many MIDI data types the user has to know exactly which values ​​are sent in which form.

1 Like

But it does.

Yes of coarse, I know…

Personally, I use the Logical Editor very often and I know it very well. But I can also understand the problems of understanding for those who are not very familiar with MIDI data.

It would be great if the P/LE had its own forum section where users can upload and share their presets, exchange knowledge.

But this information is in the manual. Does the program need to cater to beginners by displaying all the details about a parameter right in the location where where it is adjusted? Once someone understands a parameter they don’t need to relearn it.

That’s only the most basic aspect of the Logical Editors. The real difficulty lies in understanding Boolean data types and nested structures, and simple math.

I will stipulate that there are mysteries about certain functions, and those merit forum discussion, but the very basic parts require using a reference like a manual, which is a skill in itself.

In regard to having a forum section, I think it would be worthwhile to have a tag for the PLE and LE, and I’ll check into it, along with some other tags that people feel are needed.

Please keep this thread on topic though. It’s about the LE and not about tags.

1 Like

At the risk of upsetting the admin, I’ll just beat the same dead horse I’ve been beating for years… ALL settings and presets (including LE, PLE and COLOURS) should be DEAD SIMPLE to import and export and EDIT as xml files.

If presets were easier to share people would learn by example in about half an hour.

Why not implement something similar to what Fabfilter does?
Have a little “Help” pop up that you can turn on and off, that will show brief description of what the stuff is and does and if need be send you to appropriate section of manual for more detailed explanation.

1 Like

Yes, if that were not the case, there would be a more serious point of criticism :wink:

For some data types I also have to look up which parameters represent the values 1, 2 or sometimes 3, because I just don’t remember everything :unamused:.
When I’ve found a good solution in the LE, I usually save it as a preset, so I don’t have to worry about the details later.

At this point I would rather say:

Regardless: The LE is a powerful tool that saves me a lot of time