Logical Editor preset saving

I’ve created some note selection presets using the new Logical Editor in C12, and noticed that they stopped working via key command when I restarted Cubase.

It looks like the action dropdown defaults back to ‘Transform’ whenever Cubase is restarted - whereas the selection presets need it to be ‘Select’.

This means opening the Logical Editor window every time I need to use these presets and choosing the correct option from the dropdown, which is a bit cumbersome.

Is this intended, or should the action be saved with the preset?

Initially I thought I could confirm this. But after playing around with this a bit I think this may just be a GUI display bug and not a functional problem.

I have a bunch of existing LE Presets that Select Notes based on various criteria like MIDI Channel or Position in a Chord. After a fresh launch of Cubase 12 when I looked any of these Presets the Select had been changed to Transform just like @jonwright 's pic. But if I change one of them back to Select (and don’t even re-save that Preset) then when I look at any of the messed up Presets they are all now set to Select and not Transform.

I also ran several of the Presets that had been changed to Transform and they behaved as if they were set to Select. But that’s not very definitive since none of those Presets had any actions set in the lower pane, So basically it Selects Notes based on the upper pane and then Transforms them by doing nothing to them (as specified in the empty lower pane) - which is pretty much the same as a plain old Select.

Could you please add an “issues” tag to your original post.

Thanks for looking into it @raino.

I’ve come across a curious workaround. All I have to do is open the LE window and the presets start working as they should.

I don’t need to change anything in the UI, simply opening the window makes the presets work.

Hi, I’m having the same issue with Cubase 13 although it’s even worse. I’m working with track colouring presets, both my own and Dom Sigalas’ which have been changed for some reason in the update. If I try to edit the presets to my (or Don’s) original preferences, I can do so by applying the change but the next time I perform the Logical Editor edit I find the settings have gone back to the undesired events. Is this a bug? Not being able to permanntly set one’s own presets in the logical editor seems to nullify the point of having a Logical Editor as it has become ILLogical.

@Paul_Adkin Are you actually saving the preset, or just hotting Apply?

Have you verified the name of the preset is the one you think it is?

Can you try this?
Project > Project Colors Setup > Presets > 24 /4 > Options > Save Color Set as Default.
Then try again with logical editor. Then be sure to chose a color that match with the default preset. It happened to me quite the same issue and that was because it could not match the chosen color with the default when applying on a different /new project.
Let me know if this will work.
Thank you

I created and saved the presets years ago, and they worked in earlier versions of cubase. Yes, I’ve verified the presets are the ones I think they are.

Can you post the presets so we can try them in different systems? You can just drag the preset onto your reply. There were some changes, though I haven’t seen this problem yet.

but

Are you saving new presets?

Thanks Puli.
Your recommendation to:
Project > Project Colors Setup > Presets > 24 /4 > Options > Save Color Set as Default.
worked in part. The presets were reading 24 x4 colour schemes instead of 32x4, and setting it to 24/4 fixes that (although I’d prefer to have the option of 32/4). Unfortunately, however, there is a still a problem with changing the preset. Do I need to create brand new presets if I want to change them in order for them to work as new defaults?

1 Like

There is no such thing as default presets. Even though Cubase comes with some preinstalled.

Any preset needs to be explicitly saved under a new name if you want to be able to open it later for use.

No, I’m trying to modify old ones.

I am asking a specific question though.

Are you saving the presets with new names or not? You must use new names, of course.

Ah. Thank you very much. Now I know. :upside_down_face:

Ok. I just discovered how to do that. By clicking on the preset name in the Logical Editor window it gives the option to save changes. I didn’t know that … hadn’t seen that option. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

1 Like