Logical MIDI Editor select note off grid/unquantized?

Hi - often times my midi drum grooves will have notes both quantized and unquantized.

I would love to create a command where I can quickly select only the notes not locked to the grid.

I have been experimenting in logical editor but not making any progress.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please!?

Thank you :raised_hands:

Hi,

Use the:

Position | Outside Bar Range | X | Y 

Following Logical Editor preset will select all Notes, which don’t sit at x.2.1.1 (where X is any bar number):

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Note | And
Position | Outside Bar Range | 480 | 481 )

Action Target
---

Function: Select

It depends on your grid, how granular, you want to set it. If your grid is 1/8, then you have to add more lines:

Position | Outside Bar Range | 240 | 241
Position | Outside Bar Range | 480 | 481
Position | Outside Bar Range | 720 | 721
Position | Outside Bar Range | 960 | 961

If your grid is 1/16, you need even more lines:

Position | Outside Bar Range | 120 | 121
Position | Outside Bar Range | 240 | 241
Position | Outside Bar Range | 360 | 361
Position | Outside Bar Range | 480 | 481

Many thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I may have done something wrong? It is not working as expected with 16th notes - please see attached image with Logical Editor setting, etc. The only note in the image that is not quantised is the very last one: 59. 4. 4. 5

All others are on the grid - when I hit apply the notes in the image were selected. Not sure why?

Thanks a lot!!

You’ve only used half the lines Martin gave you. All the ones you are missing are getting selected.

Also make sure to pay extra attention to the use of And, Or, & parens ()

Oh! My mistake! I thought I was only supposed to put in the lines for 16th notes as that is my grid and note length for this particular track!

I first started using the logical editor 3 or 4 days ago - still totally a noob there!! :sweat_smile:

Are you saying all that code is necessary?

Well this is a brute force kind of task. You’ve got 16 positions you want to keep safe and you need to tell it where each of those positions are located - the 1st 16th note is here, the 2nd 16th note is here, the 3rd 16th note… etc., the last 16th note is here.

Hi,

Don’t forget to add the 1st line too (It must not bee the 1st line, it could be the last line too):

Type Is | Equal | Note | And

If you wouldn’t do so, also the MIDI Controllers would become selected.

Hi Martin, Hi Raino - I input all of the values suggested, 9 lines in total - I copied exactly what Martin posted - please take a look - some lines are not shown because the logical editor window is too small.

In the first pic I highlighted the very last note to show which one is 5 ms late (off grid).

In the 2nd pic you can see what happens when I press apply with the logical editor.

PLEASE, tell me what I am doing wrong - or even better - can you correctly input the command into you logical editor and make a pic or upload the preset file?

I’m really trying here but I am not getting anywhere. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Martin, in your first post you wrote about how granular I want my grid - the grid value varies from project to project - But my goal here is to just select anything that is off grid.

Hi,

I can see some entries multiple times, what doesn’t make sense. Could you please make 2 screenshots of the Logical Editor only, here we could see all lines?

Thanks for replying! I am a total beginner with the logical editor so I really don’t yet understand what some commands mean. I did repeat some values but that is because I put in the lines you wrote. Is there a more simple way? I just want to select any off grid notes, no matter how small the note length is. When I write “Off Grid” I really mean any value that is 1 ppq or greater off the grid and not strictly locked in to the grid.

Is this possible with one command? Thanks!

Hi,

It’s not possible to do this with one command, but it doesn’t make sense to copy the command Outside Bar Range | 240 | 241 or any other line.

If your grid is 120, set all values 120++, i.e. 120, 240, 360, 480, 600… until the end of the bar as the Parameter 1 and ask values 120++ + 1, i.e. 121, 241, 361… as Parameter 2.

Thanks Martin for your reply!

So 120 - 121, etc - until what max value? 960? 1080? How high do I go?

Hi,

As far as I know from the top of my head, the default resolution is 1920 in Cubase. So 1920 would be the next bar. Therefore the last value for you is 1800-1801.

Hi Martin, I appreciate your help - Have you actually done this command yourself successfully?

Because I have tried everything suggested and it does not work. If you can share a successful Logical Editor Preset that you have made that accomplishes this I would be happy to see it.

Hi,

The very 1st value pair is missing: 0 | 1 . Therefore all notes at the Bar start are selected too.

1 Like

Martin! You are my hero! IT WORKS!! - Game Changer!!

Thank you so much for having patience with me! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi,

I’m glad it helped.

Please, be aware, your preset is made for 1/16 notes. Luckily, this covers all higher options, like 1/8, 1/4, 1/2. But it wont won’t for 1/32 and neither for any tuplets. It should also work for 3/4 Time signature and 2/4, but not for 5/4 and higher.

Just to be aware of the limitation of the solution.

Thanks for letting me know!!

I see - hmm, what numerical values would I have to input to select 1/32 notes off grid, or for 1/64 notes?

Would 1/32 notes be 0 - 1, 60 - 61 , and so on?

I must admit I still don’t understand the numerical system so well :sweat_smile:

Hi,

Exactly. 60++ for 1/32 and 30++ for 1/64 notes.

1 Like

And to help understand the numerical system, what Martin already wrote in other words above: The default pulses per quarter (PPQ, also called tick) resolution used to sequence events in Cubase is 480 PPQ. (This is set in Edit > Preferences > MIDI: MIDI Display Resolution: 1/16 = 120 ticks).

This means that a whole bar, four quarter notes, by default consists of 1920 ticks. E.g. a 64th note then has a duration of (1920/64) 30 ticks, and in a perfectly quantized serie of repeating notes would repeat every 30 ticks.

3 Likes