LogicPro X user & Dorico 3.1

I work with Logic Pro X score editor. Because it has it’s limits, I’m testing out the free trial Dorico 3.1 has. So far I’m liking what I see, vs Sibelius and Finale.
I am running into what seem simple editing task problems, like once imported an XML file, not being able to change the pitch on a note/s by selecting and drawing them to a new pitch, which I’m used to doing in Logic.
I can’t find how to separate a chords notes to re-write as an ornament, e.g., for the first note of a measure.
I have never worked with high end scoring programs, so I know there’s a learning curve.
So what I’m trying to say is: can I modify and improve my XML imported files in Dorico and do things like:

• modify note pitch?
  • change regular notes into ornament notes?
  • use unconventional score symbols?
  • edit drum/percussion parts by drawing notes on the score or in play mode?
  • use the library sounds from logic in Dorico if needed?
    Hope this makes sense. I’ve also looked online and in Steinberg Forum to find the answers I’m looking for, so I can decide whether to buy Dorico 3.1 or not.
    In any case, I would appreciate any feedback, answers, suggestions on the matter.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Alex

Hi lagae592009.
Yes, you can modify note pitch : select the note in write mode and press alt-up/down arrow.
No, you cannot change a note into a grace note in Dorico. You’ll have to rewrite it.
You might use unconventional score symbols (but what are they ?) using custom playing techniques, system or staff text. You’ll need to elaborate for us to help you on this !
You can edit drum/percussion parts, as with any other instrument, but it’s slightly more complex. The 5-line representation is a condensed view of all the instruments in the kit, and you’d better use a one line representation to edit, before you go back to 5-line. Percussion stuff is an area where rtfm might prove compulsory.
You can use the same library as in Logic if (and only if) you’re using VST2/3 (and 2 might need whitelisting)
As for the picture and the chord with the note above, select the chord, invoke the context menu (ctrl-click, right-click…)>Voices>Change to voice>new downstem voice. Those notes need to be in distinct voices.
Hope this helps !

You win today’s internet understatement! :laughing:

1. You modify note pitch by selecting the note in Write mode and pressing Alt plus Up or down arrows. You can change the duration just by pressing the relevant number: e.g. 6 for a quarter note. By toggling Insert mode, you can overwrite or ‘push’ the music onwards when you do this.

2. I’m not sure that you can convert a note into a grace note (though I wait to be corrected): you may have to rewrite the passage. There is a grace note toggle in the Notes panel.

3. Dorico has customisable noteheads; you can create notation symbols above or below the note as Performance Techniques; you can also customise any existing symbol. You can also import SVG graphics.

4. I’d get used to editing music in score mode, rather than Play mode. Logic is a MIDI editor with a score mode; Dorico is a notation editor with a MIDI mode. (An appalling over-simplification, but it makes the point! :astonished: ) I’d forget about ‘drawing’ notes.

5. You can’t use Logic’s sounds directly (Logic uses Audio Units and Dorico uses VSTs.) But you can pass Dorico’s MIDI output to Logic using MacOS’s IAC bus. See here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=143195

There are loads of tutorial videos on Youtube that show you how Dorico works with Note Entry, Percussion, and everything else. There’s also excellent documentation. Don’t assume that it’ll work like Logic.

Best of luck!

To MarcLarcher & Benwiggy many thanks for your answers.