Long channel/track names cause some vst3 plugins to crash cubase

I have the same issue. It’s annoying because I work with a lot of audiofiles - field recordings, foley effects etc. They often have very long titles with all sorts of metadata in them. If I then drag that file into the project and forget to rename it I get a crash when loading some plugins.
I don’t think that’s a super unlikely scenario. I’m probably not the only composer who uses field recordings and non-music sounds in their work.

Maybe a lot more people have that issue but just never consider it could be the track title. I actually laughed pretty hard when it actually turned out to be the issue.

When Cubase is reloading it just blames the plugin I loaded or the error screen is blank. The Windows Event Log also blames the plugin.
Some folks might mistakenly believe the fault is with the plugin.

Because of all that I’m bumping the thread in the hopes it gets fixed eventually.
Perhaps Cubase could automatically trim the track name at a certain amount of characters. It’s pretty much unreadable anyway.

@Martin.Jirsak Would you know if this is an already know and reported issue?

Hi all,

Sorry, I missed this party. @mlib , thank you for letting me know!

  • When I was reading through, it looks, this is Windows only issue. Correct?
  • Could you help me to point to some specific plug-ins, which crash in this case, please?
  • Could you please attach some related *.dmp file(s)?

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

1 Like

:joy:

Can anyone name a Waves plugin that supposedly causes this crash?
I am unable to recreate it with Cubase Pro 12.0.70. I tried with Audio tracks that have a track name > 128 characters and adding various Waves plugins, all V14, to Insert slots.

It shouldn’t be too hard to find a crashing plugin. The vast majority of vst3 plugins I use are crashing on tracks with long names.

Soothe, Spiff, Kush Omega 458A, Kirchhoff EQ are a few I remember.

@mlib Two from Waves I checked = Infected Mushroom Pusher, Abbey Road Vinyl

Here are 2 crash dumps related to the case. DMP - Google Drive

I’m still having trouble recreating the crash.
Here’s what I did.

  • In the current project I just happened to be working on, I created a new stereo Audio Track.
  • I gave it a track name totaling 130 characters.
  • On this Audio Track I added Waves Abbey Road Stereo on Insert slot #1.

Nothing really happened.

  • I increased the track name to 150 characters and added a second instance of the same Waves plugin as above on Insert slot #2

Still nothing out of the ordinary.
image

Again, I’m using Cubase Pro 12.0.70.

EDIT:
Just for the heck of it, I added Waves IMPusher on slot 3. I’m afraid I don’t own any of the other plugins you listed.

Here are my version numbers for completeness.

IMPusher
Version: 14.12.90.381 Build R 286415

Abbey Road Vinyl
Version: 14.12.90.381 Build R 286415

The repro steps might be what @Desmond has described, i.e., they must include files with

very long titles with all sorts of metadata in them

and then,

drag that file into the project

I gave this another try with Steve’s comment in mind.

  • Renamed a random .wav file with a 130 character name.
  • Grabbed that file from a Windows File Explorer and dropped it below my last track in Cubase’s Project Window to force the creation of a new Audio Track.
  • I verified that the track name had 130 characters and proceeded to add IMPusher to Insert Slot #1.

No crash.

Sometimes it doesn’t happen till adding a second file with a long name and loading a plugin onto that one too.

And there is a second variation of the crash - Sometimes I can add a plugin to a track with a long name without a crash. But when I duplicat the track Cubase crashes. Seems to be a bit random.

PS: Abbey Road Vinyl has the same version numbers for me, so that’s not a factor -I’m on Cubase 12.0.52. Windows 10 Pro.