Long, long, long project open times?

I’m seeing it say “Estimated time remaining: 7 sec” which actually takes 7 minutes. It’ll then move on to a new estimate which is also short, but also takes a long time. This is happening across the board on a batch of Cubase projects that are all in the same folder on local disk. And I’m not getting any errors, just long opening times.

I switch from project to project frequently, so this is a huge productivity killer. Is there a log file I can look at to show what’s taking so long?

Thanks,

– Jason

PS - No, I haven’t tested with Cubase 12 to see if it’s different. These are all Cubase 13 projects.

PPS - Yes, Vienna Ensemble Pro is involved on a remote machine (dedicated network connection), but when it finally gets to those channels, it connects immediately.

PPS - Nothing fancy as far as other plugins go. Halion, Valhalla, Arturia, etc. Normal things.

Hi, @Jason_Staczek

If there is no crash, there’s probably no log files (or, in this case, .dmp ones), at least, not that I know of. This said, nothing prevents you to look more closely at the content of the [user]\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps folder, if you are using Windows, or the equivalent path on a MacOS system.

Beside this, you should normally be able to open a project created in Cubase 13, with a previous version, especially if both are as close as them.

Additionaly, I just tested C13 that opens automatically with my basic sketch project : 14 seconds for Cubase itself, and 5 seconds for the project (when we start to see the Loading channels bar). OK, my project is rather basic and I have two SSDs on my system, but still…

So, something is wrong on your setup. Are you able to test the same project without all the related VEPro stuff, whether with C13 or C12, this with or without your preferences disabled (safe mode) ? Additionaly, I would also check the drive(s) involved : maybe it’s the first sign that a drive is at the end of its life…

Well, it looks like part of the issue was having projects in a folder that was being synced to iCloud. I ended making a brand new volume on an external RAID array dedicated to this project and moved everything other there. Things have improved, but some projects in this collection are still taking many minutes. What’s so frustrating is there is no feedback to show what’s going on and taking the time. And I can’t stop and do all the troubleshooting steps. I’m working.

Long story, I’m super frustrated with C13. I can’t take it.

Hello Jason!

I’ve had this issue myself and I ended up contacting Steinberg Support, which is a pretty lengthy thing to do sometimes considering that it took me over a month to get my latest ticket replied to.

However, you can try the following:

• Close all programs.
  • Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously.
  • In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path: %appdata%/Steinberg
  • Locate the folder which is named the same as your Steinberg program.
    Rename it (for example, to “inactive”) to hide it from Cubase.
  • Important: If you find folders of previous Cubase versions, make sure to hide or remove them too!

If it works but starts to go slow again you can repeat this procedure and just name the folder anything unique. You can even delete the renamed folders afterward if you want.

I’m not sure it will work for you and your situation but give it a shot. It helped me but it came back after a while and I had to repeat this procedure now and then for a while.

All the best,
Markus

Thank you, Markus. I’m on a Mac so I might have to figure out what the equivalent, but I’m willing to try anything. I hate the person I become when I double-click to open a C13 project and the thing says “Estimate time…7 seconds” but it takes 10 minutes. I end up saying rude things to the computer, especially about Steinberg, while I’m waiting for that 7s to finish. Really loud, too.

FWIW, I have never had a single issue like this with Reaper. They say Reaper launches and opens lighting fast, and it really does. Every time I switch back to Reaper it reminds me that it’s not normal for a DAW to act like that. I didn’t mean to turn this into a rant and bring Reaper into it, but working in Cubase is no longer fun. It’s a chore and it makes me into a bad person.

Thanks,

– Jason