Looking For App For Pre Cubase Ideas

I have a trial version of Elements 9 right now and I plan on buying it. I actually will probably buy Artist 9.

What I’m looking for is an Android App that can record simple multitrack ideas using just my phone mic. It would be REALLY beneficial for me if I could record just sounds using my mouth to express beats, rhythms, melodies, vocals, etc. That may sound like a strange idea but I can assure you it would work and help me put together rough song ideas that I could later record using Cubase.

I looked at the Steinberg Apps page but they are all for iPhone only :unamused:

Everything I’ve looked at in the Play Store is pretty lame.

Suggestions? Thanks!

J4T Multitracker

The J4T is a compact 4-track recorder, designed to capture your song ideas, demos and sound-sketches easy and anywhere. In other words: a great tool for songwriters and other creative musicians!

Features:

• Four tracks
  • Audio effects: Fuzz, Chorus, Delay, Equalizer, Reverb, Phaser, Compressor
  • Import/Export your own music (MP3/WAV)
  • Loop function
  • Track editing

*** Please note: live monitoring is not supported ***

Thanks, I noticed this one earlier but kinda overlooked it. I’m not 100% sure what that note means but as long as I can hear the other tracks playing as I am recording a new one this should work. If it can’t do that it’s kind of a pointless app IMHO. Do you know if that’s the case?

I really don’t know as I use it in a minimal sort of way.

I have an idea, put it down…I may add another track or two…but very seldom.

Can you hear the first track you recorded playing… as you are recording the second track?

I would assume it means you can’t monitor what you’re recording whilst you’re recording it, not the tracks you’ve already recorded. Pretty useless otherwise, as you say. There is a free demo version…

Not seeing a demo version in the Play Store

Hmmm… I click the link… that takes you to another page giving you the option to click the link to download (then sends you to the Play Store to pay for it) or you can “Scan the QR Code to install the program on your smartphone”. How an I suppose to scan an image on my screen with my bar code scanner that uses the camera?!?

Thanks for the link. I may just buy it later but that’s some jacked up content… from the developer I assume.

Hmm…those sorts of links are a pain, sorry about that.

Looks like quite a good App for the money though and the Developer seems to be proactive on the Play Store reviews which is a good sign I think. Let us know if you do go for it.

No problem, and I will. Thanks!

Wow… really impressed with that J4T app. I bought it earlier today and messed around with it the last hour or so. Super cool and it’s exactly what I was looking for! This will pretty much be a scratch pad for ideas I get before I bring them to Cubase. The only downside I have found so far is it will only save files to my phone’s internal storage and won’t allow me to choose a project folder on my SD Card.

Thanks for the info guys!

Excellent and thanks for letting us know. Just recently got a new Android phone so might give it a go myself. Shame about the SD card choice though.

Sweet! It’s giving me that nostalgic feeling of plugging into my Tascam 424 Portastudio way back around 88 but with cut and paste abilities. It will be a game changer for me personally. I can work around the SD thing… sucks a bit but I can overlook it. Let us know how it does for you.

Ah yes, the good old 424…absolutely amazed when I first got my hands on one of those.

Yeah, they were pretty awesome. I know they came out with an mkll and mklll but I had they original. My first setup was the Tascam 424, an Alesis SR16 drum machine, Alesis 3630 Compressor, Alesis M-EQ 230 and I wound up with the Alesis Microverb 4 Signal Processor as well (your welcome Alesis), even though I started on some type of processor I believe from ADA that was really primitive but really interesting. It was all about modifying delay to obtain your effect, it kinda felt like working on an analog synth. Along with my Ludwig Blue Vistalite 5 pc drum kit, Ibanez guitar, Ibanez 5 string bass, Peavey Bandit 112, Dunlop Wah and RAT pedal I locked myself away.

I still have my Alesis 3630 somewhere and my Alesis Midiverb 2 is still in use for reverb for monitoring purposes when recording. Wow, that must serve as my most used bit of recording kit ever… a close run thing against a Fender Lead 2 which was my go-to guitar from '82 until my wife bought me a lovely Telecaster for my fiftieth.

For one reason or another I parted ways with all of my original gear although my brother sent me a pic while he was at a yard sale of a big box with various audio gear in it, all for $50 so I got that. It had another 3630 in it, an Alesis ADAT, a small beat up Yamaha mixer and various other stuff. I’ll probably never use any of it :smiley: I too picked up a Tele, a Butterscotch Blonde American Special. What a great guitar! Hitting the big 50 next year myself… man it goes so fast…