Looking for the answer....

Hi, Folks!

Conventional “box” loudspeakers also suffer from what’s now referred to as the “Allison Effect”. Back in the mid-1970’s, speaker designer, Roy Allison, uncovered the fact that the distance from the loudspeaker driver to adjacent large surfaces, such as the back wall behind the front facing loudspeaker box, or the side wall adjacent to them, creates pronounced resonances based on the distance (and speed of sound in air) between the driver and the large surfaces. This leads to bass and mid-frequency boost and “suck-out” at frequencies who’s wavelength’s approach this physical distance [1 foot is about 1KHz in wavelength/frequency). There are ways to deal with it, but no matter where standard “box” loudspeakers are setup in a room, this effect will occur to some extent. (Roy eventually designed some superb loudspeakers with angled panels to couple the driver output to adjacent walls or floor, resolving this bass and mid-bass issue; along with developing probably the best wide dispersion tweeters ever designed. Alas, the company is no longer in business, although Roy is still consulting on loudspeaker designs, last I heard, and recovering from some serious health issues.)

Most folks don’t realize that although you may have the most well respected equipment in the biz, including a fabulous set of gear, the room they’re placed in has at least an equivalent impact on the sound you ultimately hear. The room is an integral part of the listening “system” and rivers of ink (and now electrons!) have been spilled discussing how to address this interaction and performance between room and playback equipment. About the only way to overcome some of the shortcomings of producing in any space, is to listen to much live music, on location, and then recreate, as close as you can, a similar sound in multiple listening envirnoments using varying grades of playback equipment. This helps educate your hearing to recognize what’s good and what’s not so good for both production and listening. Ultimately, the best choice is to build a proper production studio. But this is a luxury only very few can afford, and even then, if you don’t have an expert with a long list of successful references, you may still wind up with an unsatisfactory production / listening environment.

Not that this helps a lot, but is may help shed some light on the discussion, and some of the reasons why room interactions are critical to listening spaces.

Crotchety!thank you x100.It took me a while to figure out your approach about trying to sit as close to the wall as possible ,but I finaly got it and… it works 1000% for now.

That would indicate your problem is the rooms low end is way out of whack.

thank you! I also noticed,when I was walking around the room trying to listen closely to what was changing,I find out that the bass was most audible on the side walls where I have my foam panels(famous mirror trick),and almost gone rigt in the center of the room(typical)… :question: so does it mean that the solution would be instaling some bass traps,or I should say as many of them as possible(since there’s no way to overdo it)?

It seems that you would benefit by installing some bass traps, as you are probably sitting in a bass light point. thus mixing either too bass heavy and/or not enough mid/top.

You need to try and get the room more balanced over the entire frequency range. As I pointed out, your room at low frequencies is more or less square so both the front to back and the side to side walls will have the same problems.

It’s too much to go into here, there are plenty of very good sites out there that go into detail on how to deal with these problems from a DIY perspective.

Maybe think about trying some form of analysis of your rooms problems so you can more effectively target the type and placement of treatment required rather than a chuck stuff in and hope approach.

Words of wisdom Split,thank you for everything!It’s amazing how sometimes everything is right in front of your eyes,and you just dont see it.I’m probably gonna go ahead and ask for free analysis,on monday …thanks again,you’ve been huge help!

Lots of info here if you care to dig a little further into the subject of acoustics.

Cool,Thanks for sharing!