Looking to build a new PC to run Cubase 10 pro 64 bit

My system will not run Massive X being as the processor is not AVX compatible. My current system consists of am Intel Quad Core CPU and ASUS P5B motherboard which have served me well however I am looking to be able to run 16 cores unless this is more of a hindrance than a help?

It is high time I built a new PC in any case (no pun intended!)

Traditionally I have used Intel processors and ASUS motherboards for their rock solidness and have found it is best to go for branded RAM and SSD hard drives.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Is it cheaper to build from scratch?

Cripes this place seems to be dead beat these days!

What are you expecting? Less than 12 hours later …

:unamused:

This topic might interest you, regarding cores …

Is it cheaper to “build from scratch” compared to what?

What are your needs and/or expectations?

Too many factors makes it hard to recommend, don’t scrimp on your motherboard is best advice if you want a stable system, Don’t base everything on raw cpu speed in attempt to get most bang for buck, ensure the PSU is good quality and plenty of bandwidth on your mainboard.

And if going large multi core just ensure that the single core performance at least matches what you have now. It’s still important with apps like Cubase that cannot split everything super efficiently across cores.

Recently I’ve found it cheaper to get a prebuilt system and then add components that you need (larger SSD/RAM etc), but very much depends on what’s available at any given time of course. If you like to change/add GPU then prebuilt not so good as the PSUs can be non standard and/or not have the spare power to add a higher performance Graphics card. But the advantages of prebuilt is that you can research and read reviews on them, they’re usually nicely arranged (cable management) and quiet too.

Bottom line is that any modern build is going to be pretty powerful, if you’re looking at the latest generation of i5/i7s etc. Xeon’s are my favourite, but I’ve always used them in my Mac Pro’s where they’re great too. They cost, but very stable.

Good advice guys. Thanks :slight_smile:

Any honest thoughts on this motherboard would be appreciated. The doubt I am having is over the on board graphics (which have traditionally been a no-no!) It’s amazing how stressful building a new pc is as you know if you f up you’ll be stuck with your poor decision!

I am thinking of running this with an Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz Processor

What are the recommended Intel chipsets to run the PC and Cubase Pro 10 well?

I’m now thinking about buying this board. Any thoughts? Accessories|Motherboards|ASUS United Kingdom

Hello, don’t buy this the Prime B250 has very weak VRM power delivery, it will not be stable with the 9700k even in stock speeds. I have some experience with the 9700k & 9900k the Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE is one of the best boards for these chips.
I give you some components list witch works good.

Power: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 2018 or 850W
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 8G or 580
CPU cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM
SSD: Crucial MX500 or Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2.

If you buy these i think you’re will be happy for the next years.
Good luck. :wink:

Thanks Wepsta - what do you mean by VRM power delivery? My current PC uses a Western Digital Blue SSD which has given the pc new life, however I am going through all this headache so I can run N.I. Massive X and I am guessing others will follow this AVX path. My ASIS A5B Intel 9650 QuadCore PC is naturally getting a bit long in the tooth!

There is a list wich boards can handle the 8 Cores 16-C9-C97-A-9830-41-D8-A192-0-C856-A301-ADA hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB
It is very important for stability.

This is the board I am about to order. My CPU is on the approved list on the manufacturer’s website too.