loop in Dorico

Hello,
is there any way to activate loop in Dorico?
Thanks

No, I’m afraid not as yet, but it’s something we plan to implement in a future version.

Thanks
It would be very interesting

+1

+1 please!

me too! The handiest thing I can imagine would be to highlight notes in one of the modes and hit a button to make it play in a loop. What a tool that would be!

PLEASE, DANIEL …
For example, when setting up levels between instruments, one should not have to start playing again and again to adjust levels or to tweak timbre on instruments. We NEED to be able to force Dorico to loop between markers so we can make adjustments WHILE the music is playing.
PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS FEATURE SOON … VERY SOON.
Not all of us work the same way others do.
PLEASE, DANIEL … surely could not be difficult for you amazing people to make this happen for us.
Thank you.
… Dr. Frederick Graves

1 Like

Again this morning, trying to get the syncopation of a string of measures to agree with what I hear in my musical head, and have to hit “P” again and again, then stop the play with space bar, then hit “P” again, then spacebar, etc. If I could loop 3 or 4 measures at a time, I could get the “feel” of a passage straightened out in no time at all. Without the loop function, it takes hours to get just a few measures the way I need them to sound. PLEASE IMPLEMENT THE LOOP BETWEEN MARKERS FUNCTION for us mere “songwriters” who aren’t scoring for full symphonic orchestras. Thank you, Daniel.
… Dr. Frederick Graves
… Bay City, Michigan

Why hit space? Just use P to start and stop.

1 Like

You might temporarily put repeats on a bar, or insert like 8 copies of a passage, then delete those bars later. Could even use a scratch flow - I think it is interesting how we treat the computer as if it were still paper sometimes… Or at least I do.

1 Like

I frequently use scratch flows. Paste in a passage and experiment with half a dozen variants…

1 Like

All good responses, yet since Daniel has said Loop Between Markers is on the Steinberg to-do list, and since the Steinberg techs are by far the smartest people on this planet, perhaps if enough of us continue to make the request, the coders will get around to it.
The “piano roll” view is already done. All we need is to be able to set start and stop markers on the “measure display” and click the LOOP button in play mode.
Record mode, then, could even permit over-dub set to keep only the last 3 passes (or whatever number of passes you wish). An “explode” function would let us assign each recorded part in a separate midi channel to the staff that we choose for write mode … and onward with music that doesn’t take old men like me half-a-day to work out 5 measures.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Waiting and hoping.

1 Like

This is highest priority for me as well. I’d love to use Dorico as a practice tool as well and without looping it just doesn’t allow an efficient workflow in this regard. So I have to export to Cubase just to get the looping…

Quite so. I worked probably 5 hours today to get a simple lead sheet completed for a stage musical I will be producing “someday” when the scoring is complete … all because I had to play the same passages over and over and over to get the notes correct … something that would have been immensely easier if I could have simply looped over the troublesome measures while tweaking the notes for timing and pitch. Cubase had this 30 years ago when we were loading Cubase from cassette tape into 8080 machines!

1 Like

So (for now at least) use Cubase rather than figuratively trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver.

1 Like

We know it’s an important feature for many users, and it is on our list for the future. More people requesting it won’t have any impact on how quickly we’d get around to it. This is one of the many feature areas that is much more complex than you may expect and likely requires multiple weeks of work from people across different product teams. So it’s something that has to be planned and has to compete with all the other features and fixes that occupy our time.

8 Likes

If Cubase was still as simple and yet powerful as it was 30 years ago, I’d use Cubase … but Dorico is far superior to Cubase for the writing I do … and my goal is the printed score, not a recording. Only with a printed score can I achieve my goal to produce a grand stage musical. Cubase doesn’t even have the little “kickers” it used to have for tweaking note positions. Dorico is IDEAL for my purpose. It’s just not adapted to letting me get the notes and rests where I need them “by ear”. It seems to me most of us songwriters hear a tune in our heads, grab a keyboard or guitar, and try to sing what we heard in our head. The words come to us. We want to WRITE IT DOWN, because “recording” it alone does not “communicate” the way a printed score does … or even a lead sheet. So we wait, thankful for what we have, hoping for that extra function that will make Dorico PERFECT for us songwriters who need to put our ideas on PAPER and do it QUICKLY according to standard musical protocols.

Thanks, Paul, for considering how Dorico is used by us simple songwriters who “hear” the music first, then need to put notes and rests and clefs and time signatures on paper to be read and performed by professionals on multiple instruments before audiences. That’s a big step for us, and Dorico is nearly perfect for accomplishing what I’ve been wrestling with the ever-increasing complexity of Cubase to achieve for more than 30 years…

Dorico is a dream that’s almost come true for me.

I worked several hours yesterday on just one song, and I’ll need another two or three hours today to finish that one song. Then I have 12 others to score for the stage musical … and at 79 years of age I don’t have forever to get this done, Paul.

Thanks again for listening to my plea.