Lost e-licensers, can you just buy new ones?

Hi,

I currently work for a school where about 25 of our computers have Cubase 6.5/7 (educational) installed on them and have working USB Keys. However before I started working at the school we apparently had 31 computers working with Cubase 6.5/7, all with working USB keys. This means that in the last few months 6 USB keys have gone missing, however we still have all of their info on our My Steinberg account (they were all registered at one point).

So that we can get these 6 computers back up and running, is it just a case of me purchasing 6 more e-licensers and then transferring the licenses over and if so, how would I do this?

I have read up about zero downtime however I am concerned about the section that says 'you can use your software for 25 operating hours '. So I assumed this meant SZDT was a temporary fix.

If someone could help me out that would be great! I have looked at many other forum topics and none of them quite answer my question!

Thanks,

Tom

You can buy replacement e-licensers but they won’t have PERMANENT licenses on them. If the lost (or stolen) dongles and licenses were registered in the My Steinberg account, you should be able to report them as lost or stolen and the lost or stolen ones will be “disabled” and you should be able to get replacement licenses on the new dongles. For the ZDT, the 25 hour license is only a temporary means to get you up and running UNTIL your permanent license is replaced.
To answer your question, you can’t simply transfer the licenses to the new dongles without having the old dongles because it needs to remove the licenses from the old dongles in the process (otherwise it would be creating an ADDITIONAL license). But, the good news is that Steinberg can replace the lost or stolen licenses as I mentioned above after they “deactivate” the missing dongles. One more note: I believe there is a limit to the number of times you can use the replacement process so I recommend you implement a “control program” for those e-licensers before more of them grow legs and disappear.
HTH

Hi Jaslan,

Thanks for the reply! And yes, trust me a ‘control plan’ is going to be priority number 1 once I have got the new e-licensers!

Thanks,

Tom