Lost Hours of works.. : (

Command + Option +S

It will create new versions. I do this as I go. If v14 is corrupt, v13 was saved 5 minutes before. Maybe lose a track or 2 but not the entire session.

Tried to search for this “app nap” could not find any. Are you sure you are on mac? :confused:

Really?

Yes I’m on Mac : )

It’s “Enable Power Nap”… my mistake

After uncheck this… as of now, seems to be OK

process like NIhardwareAgent (for Maschine controler) can go to sleep.
Maybe it’s this kind of thing that srew the saving process.
By disabling Power Nap, they don’t sleep…

I nearly always have crashes with any u-he vst3. Luckily not with vst2.4. They seem to have had a lot of issues implementing vst3. Maybe that is an issue for you?

I always use U-He vst2

Still good after turning off “Enable Power Nap”

If this is the problem, there should be a warning when starting Cubase.

“Dude, turn off Power Nap or you could lost your work!”

Projects can get corrupted suddenly without warning once in a while for many reasons, either they simply won’t reopen or you get a cascading windows crash. i don’t use auto back up but i do have a good habit of saving as i go. this way auto save doesn’t interrupt my work flow.

To counter this issue I highly recommend saving your project under two names , just add the word copy or back up to your project name and save that as you go. This is also good if you want to revert back ( again i don’t use auto save ) as my copy project is about 30 minutes behind the original.

Good tips Indiescore!

So,
The “Enable power nap” seems to have help a little, but I was stil experiencing lots of crash that I didn’t get before.
I go back to 9.0.1 and it’s seems to be fine now… We will see.

I guest somethings is wrong with 9.0.10 on my system.

I’ve used this method, but the problem I have is remembering which file is the most updated – but that can be checked and so this is a good and sound method provided the user is careful.

When closing work on a Project, I “put it to bed.” That means, I close all Mixer Windows, all plug-in windows, all editors and so on. Deactivate all the inserts and effects and then save the file (often as a New Version). This way when I reopen the project, Cubase is not struggling to restore all the Mixer windows, plug-ins and editors and so on. This seems to have reduced my instances of projects failing to re-open or crashing Cubase upon attempting to open or activate them.

I’ve also had success getting problem Projects to re-open by first opening an empty project, then using File → Open for the problem project. The Project will then often open and successfully activate. This doesn’t always work, Cubase has still crashed when the project is Activated, but it has worked with some problem projects.

All in all, my “problem projects” represent a very small, but painful, per centage of all the projects started or completed to date. I’ve been with Cubase for about 18 months and, even with its issues, Cubase is best DAW I’ve ever used. YMMV. :slight_smile: Good luck.

It’s easier to just use Save New Version (Ctrl/Cmd + Alt + S).

wondered what that was…but i don’t want a bunch incremental bread crumb files , just project and project backup with a click and save …

Thanks for sharing I don’t take those precautions but i will say a sure way to ask for trouble is to close a project and select quit right away …similar to what you are referring too, cubase needs a little time to handle shutting down all of those project plug ins…before cubase application is shut down…thought the original poster might want to be aware…

Each to their own. I don’t understand ‘bread crumb files’… an odd term to describe a very effective and fast way of keeping an incremental history of your project as it progresses (and you were if I understood correctly talking about this in the context of auto save which is a similar thing under a different name). Incremental saves were mentioned by other posters above and I think the OP may have already been using them. By all means make a full backup of the project if you think it will help but I’d humbly suggest that incremental saves are by far the most efficient and logical method of security for ongoing projects for most users.

There’s an outside chance the problems experienced by the OP may have been prevented by making a full backup of the whole project including the audio files under a different name (if that is what you are suggesting) but this would by no means have been certain since it would depend how often you are making this full backup, and it would depend on the cause of the corrupted project. As others have suggested, if it’s a plug-in, for example then no amount of saving is going to prevent the issue. And the truth is, for most users, normal workflow prevents making full backups every five minutes.

Also don’t forget the value of setting up an automated OS level backup of all your disks.

wondered what that was…but i don’t want a bunch incremental bread crumb files , just project and project backup with a click and save …[/quote]
Each to their own. I don’t understand ‘bread crumb files’… an odd term to describe a very effective and fast way of keeping an incremental history of your project as it progresses (and you were if I understood correctly talking about this in the context of auto save which is a similar thing under a different name). Incremental saves were mentioned by other posters above and I think the OP may have already been using them. By all means make a full backup of the project if you think it will help but I’d humbly suggest that incremental saves are by far the most efficient and logical method of security for ongoing projects for most users.

There’s an outside chance the problems experienced by the OP may have been prevented by making a full backup of the whole project including the audio files under a different name (if that is what you are suggesting) but this would by no means have been certain since it would depend how often you are making this full backup, and it would depend on the cause of the corrupted project. As others have suggested, if it’s a plug-in, for example then no amount of saving is going to prevent the issue. And the truth is, for most users, normal workflow prevents making full backups every five minutes.[/quote]

yes it’s just personal preference workflow i am talking about, not what’s best for others but might be of interest to some.

for saving a copy i didn’t mean create a full project backup but just click save as and add " copy " to the name…this is just a safety copy in case the original project gets corrupted. this just saved me a few weeks ago from loosing a lot of work when a C9 file opened with blacked out VST instruments. Opened the copy and saved copy over the original corrupted file and all was well.

but, as a third step i do send a full project back up to another drive in the cloud weekly, and as Raino pointed out, my project drive is cloned to another drive in real time. But in terms of workflow that’s just for catastrophic hard drive failure back up. So at the end of the day i have a 4 tier safety net , I do commercial work with tight deadlines most of the time.

if this helps a few people that would be great.

Also, and this may be just total superstition on my part, after you select Open for a Project File, don’t fiddle with the mouse or keyboard. Don’t touch anything until the project is opened and ready to roll. :slight_smile:

Get into the habit of saving incrementally - alt cmmd s - I have this habit like a twitch. Saved me on numerous occasions:)

If you are using Cubase Professional you can export to an XML archive, and then import into a new project.

Ok,

After a lot of testing.
I’m pretty sure it was my Hardrive.
LaCie external SSD Thunderbolt.
I reformat it… but I’m not sure I will use it again…