Lost in theory [chords from Cubase to Dorico]

Being accustomed to thinking horizontally rather than vertically, I’m a bit sketchy about the meaning of chord symbols. I’ve set up some outlandish chord pads in Cubase, and when they arrive in Dorico they’ve changed.

This is a sequence in Cubase:

And here it is imported to Dorico:

So apparently, Dsus4/7/9 /B is a fancy way of saying C major over B. !.

I noticed that if I type that Dsus chord into Dorico, it simplifies it to Dsus4 /B, and in other instances I cannot reproduce exactly what the Cubase pad describes.

Partly I think this is because I noticed as I dug into it that the maximum number of notes that Cubase will use seems to be five, so I was wondering whether there is a similar restriction in Dorico?

And if someone can point me to a theory book…

The Ab7(b5) seems to be more correct here, given the actual notes being played. (But my music theory nerd heart shakes that F# is being considered a 7 and D is a b5 in Ab…)
The C6/B is “ok”, but given the notes I would go for Am7/B.
And the last chord leaves my puzzled since the b9 as well as the 13 are missing completely from the notes, leaving a simple Gbaug there.

So I guess my first question would be: Are the notes that we see here in Dorico the same notes the Cubase pad plays, given the chords in Cubase?

1 Like

That’s the thing. I think that Cubase, where more than 4/5 notes (according to one’s settings) are called for, has to choose to leave one or other out.

When setting up the pads, it seems that Cubase decides whether the root is Ab or G#, for instance.