Lost installation entirely while trying to upgrade.

When Dorico first appeared, it was noted that some installations of Windows might not have a Virtual C++ (?) dll needed to install it. Not sure if that is still the case, but doing a clean install may have wiped out that dll so that it needs to be added again.

Sadly Dorico 1.0 was a long time ago, so I do not clearly recall the details. Perhaps this is what I was thinking of.
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=105116&p=578324&h … ll#p577642

I’m glad you’re back up and running, Arron. We can look into the problem with not being able to run SDA on your machine. I believe that the necessary Java bits and bobs should be installed by the SDA installer itself, so we may need to look into what’s happening there. I’ll ask the SDA team for some advice about how to troubleshoot the installation on your computer.

There is a reason for me being hesitate to use SDA at all costs if possible.

I always use direct download from this page: Dorico 3 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

(I manually installed Aria2 in my macOS.)

My problem is now at least temporarily resolved, and that I have the software working again, but in the interest of future prevention of this problem, I will explain:

As part of my troubleshooting steps, I looked up and installed the Visual C++ redistributables I would need directly from the Microsoft website. My problem was not resolved at that point.

For SOME reason, the best I can make out is that whenever I downloaded directly to my Windows machine, I had some sort of checksum error with ALL downloads from Steinberg - both The download assistant, Dorico 3.1 itself, and also probably the sounds installer, though I didn’t actually waste my time by downloading a 9 GB zip file to my own machine since I expected it not to install correctly (it was already 9 PM on the second day of me working through this problem by the time I got to this step, so I just downloaded it onto my friend’s Mac first). I suspect the most recent Microsoft patch (which was rushed) somehow broke the either the checksum checker or maybe the hash itself (?), but of course, I’m not a developer and don’t know.

My problem is now at least temporarily resolved, and that I have the software working again, but in the interest of future prevention of this problem, I will explain:

As part of my troubleshooting steps, I looked up and installed the Visual C++ redistributables I would need directly from the Microsoft website. My problem was not resolved at that point.

For SOME reason, the best I can make out is that whenever I downloaded directly to my Windows machine, I had some sort of checksum error with ALL downloads from Steinberg - both The download assistant, Dorico 3.1 itself, and also probably the sounds installer, though I didn’t actually waste my time by downloading a 9 GB zip file to my own machine since I expected it not to install correctly (it was already 9 PM on the second day of me working through this problem by the time I got to this step, so I just downloaded it onto my friend’s Mac first). I suspect the most recent Microsoft patch (which was rushed) somehow broke the either the checksum checker or maybe the hash itself (?), but of course, I’m not a developer and don’t know.