Lost my Key Commands when upgrading from Artist 10 to Pro 10.5

Upgraded today from Artist 10 to Pro 10.5. Everything went very easy and everything is working fine. Except all the Key Commands I had created in Artist are gone. I found my Artist 10 Key Commands file here “C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 10_64\Key Commands.xml”. My Pro directory has no key comands xml file. Is there a reason why my Key Commands were not migrated? Can I simply copy my Artist Key Commands file in my Pro 10.5 directory? I’m afraid to try and screw up my brand new Cubase Pro because I’m thinking that maybe there is a good reason why my Key Commands were not migrated between Artist and Pro.

Hi,

There should be Key Commands.xml file in the Cubase 10.5 preferences folder as well. If it’s not there, then there could be even a deeper problem. Are you sure your Cubase 10.5 doesn’t crash while quit (silently)? Any *.dml file in the crash dump folder?
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Yes, you can copy the Key Commands.xml over to Cubase 10.5 preferences folder and it will work.

There was no Key Commands.xml in my Cubase Pro directory. Turns out by default there doesn’t seem to be one. It got created when created my first Key Command, only then did Cubase Pro create the file C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5_64\Key Commands.xml that contains a whole lot of key commands including my new ones. So I took the content of both Key Commands file and used a text compare application hoping it would highlight my personnal key commands as a difference. Unfortunately no. Both files have too many differences to highlight any differences. Obiviously if the formatting is slightly different of if the commands are not ordered identically in the xml files then a straight compare is useless. I will try to compare the files with a more sophisticated diff tool I have on my work computer (I’m a software developper) to see if I can extract my key commands. But at the moment it looks like a really annoying bug that can be related to moving from Artist to Pro. I will eventually re-create my key commands after frustration of pressing shortcuts that don’t do anything becasue at this point I don’t know which were my key commands and which were default in Cubase.

Hi,

Copy of Cubase 10 Key Commands over to Cubase 10.5 preferences folder didn’t work?