Lots of Cubasis Problems

Howdy. So, I updated my iPad air 2020 with the latest ios 16, Musicstudio seems to work a little better. However Cubasis 3 is still having a lot of issues. I have a bunch of synth apps. Not all of them show up in the list of Inter-app list. Animoog, Digital D1, Digitalism (love it, don’t show up), Factory, ID700, Mela 3, Model D, Nave, Poison, Sunrizer, Synclavier Go, Synthmaster 2, Synth One, TAL-U-NO, TB Flowtones, Wavestation, VA Poly, and VHS Synth.

Cubasis takes over 30 seconds to load, when an Interapp/third party synth is selected, it takes a long time for it to load. The sample song that came with it, I’ve tried changing the synth for several of the tracks. Some end up with no sound. And, the app crashes. I’ve got like 50GB available.

I deleted it from my iPad. It is basically unusable for me. I can’t see myself editing tracks and bouncing them out… Because I don’t know what will happen. I would never think this, but garage band seems to be the best app out there. I know.

I mean, I am shocked at how it has so many problems. I requested a refund from Apple, too. It’s a shame. :sob:

Hi @planetguitar,

Thank you for sharing your message in the Cubasis forum as well.

Normally, you should not experience the Cubasis related issues, mentioned in your report.
Please give the following steps a try:

1. Load the “New Project” template.
  2. Close all running apps, including Cubasis.
  3. Fully shut down the iPad (turn it “off”).

Does Cubasis run as expected, once restarting the iPad and the app?
In regards to your “Inter-App Audio” issues, please check my reply below (and the PM from yesterday).

Best,
Lars

Hi @planetguitar,

Thanks for your message.

Please note that Apple introduced Audio Unit support several years ago, which provides much more flexible options to use 3rd party plug-ins within a mobile DAW, compared to Inter-App Audio. In-App Audio is no longer maintained or has been updated by Apple for a very long time.

It depends on the app manufacturer what type of nodes are available. IAA apps that are not listed as instruments (only for audio track inputs) are in fact IAA generators (= only for audio tracks) and not IAA instruments, i.e. they cannot receive MIDI via IAA (only via CoreMIDI).

Please note that most of the plug-ins you have in use are available als Audio Units. Therefore, I strongly suggest to give the Audio Unit versions of your plug-ins in use a try in Cubasis!

To get along with Cubasis more quickly, please have a look at our “Getting started with Cubasis” tutorial. Learn how to load and use Audio Unit plug-ins here and here.

Enjoy being creative and stay safe and sound!

Warm greetings,
Lars

I’m really sorry, but I just got refunded by Apple and do not have it anymore. Perhaps a smaller demo song could’ve been put in instead of that bloated one.

It’s a shame “planetguitar” stopped using Cubasis3, I had the same issues with extremely long Cubasis loading times that included any IAA synths, but an easy solution to this problem is to name the current project (or rename it) with an added abbreviated IAA synth list, this allows you to launch any required IAA synths before loading the project, this also prevents audio disconnects within Cubasis. All my projects are named with added IAA abbreviations.
Before closing Cubasis at the end of an evening, I would first open a saved empty project which I have named START, then close, next time I launch Cubasis 3 I will be able to view and prepare any IAA’s for that particular project, loading time is down to a few seconds, perfect👌

1 Like

Hi @fixitmania53,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars,
This is reel spooky🫣 this latest v3.5 update has amazingly introduced the Hub, this fantastic addition has simplified the task of opening projects that may contain IAA apps which previously would stall the Cubasis launch process (as per my above quote), now I don’t have to keep changing projects before I close Cubasis, many thanks to your team for this🍻
One small problem though, the on screen pinch to zoom has stopped working unless I first select the Vertical Zoom Arrow in the zoom bar and pinch to expand, then selecting the Horizontal Zoom Arrow, just a small bug.
Many thanks

1 Like

yes it’s a bummer. But, I have never run into a mew app with so many problems up front (Music Studio does not work to well for me as well)…

Out of 40 of my multimedia and audio apps Cubasis and music studio are the only two that did not work out of the box. I open up garage band, and it works. I open up Luma fusion and it works.

I mean garage band is not my favorite absence I would never use it on my computer but, it works out of the box

OK… If I can get this thing download it again I’m gonna give it a another shot. :slight_smile:

Hi planetguitar,
You have made a wise choice. I have MusicStudio, GarageBand and Cubasis too on my iPad Air 4, but out of the three DAWs……Cubasis blows the other two out of the water, there really is no comparison between them.
I have been using Cubasis (1/2/3) since 2013, before that (early 2000s) I used Cubase VST32 followed by Cubase SX2 on my Pc. I am still finding new techniques with Cubasis3, especially after new updates. I like using loads of CC data and Automation, the other DAWs mentioned above just can’t compete in this respect.
Good luck and have fun🍻

1 Like

Wow! After reinstalling without that demo song in it- Cubasis runs awesome! I mean it’s night and day from earlier. I’m totally stoked… This is gonna be my software for now on Because my laptop died and all I have is my iPad. Thank God this software runs well… It is going to save my ass. :slight_smile: Thank you

1 Like

Hi planetguitar,
I don’t know you, I am just a user like yourself, but I am pleased you changed your mind with Cubasis3.
I wish you the best of luck with your future projects :+1::beers:

1 Like

Hi @planetguitar,

Wow! After reinstalling without that demo song in it- Cubasis runs awesome! I mean it’s night and day from earlier. I’m totally stoked… This is gonna be my software for now on Because my laptop died and all I have is my iPad. Thank God this software runs well… It is going to save my ass. :slight_smile:

Glad to read that you’ve tried out Cubasis once more, and that things work as expected!

To get familiar with the app more quickly, you might check out our “Getting started with Cubasis” tutorial…

Enjoy being creative
& stay safe,
Lars

Lots of problems since the latest update. Freezing when trying to open a project from the new splash screen. This happens pretty frequently. I have had problems with interapp and midi sounds from other apps . I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I was having no issues before the last update but now the app has become sooo buggy that I’m thinking of using another DAW until you work this all out. I love Cubasis 3 for the iPad as I’m finally at a place where I know the app enough to do what I need to. I have Cubase on my laptop but being disabled the iPad makes it possible for me to do thing without so much pain. Please come out with an update. I like the new features that came out in the latest update but I would gladly go back to before the update to get rid of all the bugs. My iPad is new 1.5 years and I bought one with a lot of memory…anyway I will be looking for update but I also will be using other products to do what I have to till then.
Thank you for a great product until the last update.

Hi bikersights,
The problem lies with Inter-App Audio apps, not Cubasis, Apple have discontinued support IAA.
The only workable solution is to launch any IAA apps first, then launch Cubasis and it will open so much faster.
I have so many projects that contain the likes of Nave, iM1, iWavestation, the original Animoog and more, it’s impossible to keep track of which app to pre launch first. So, my workaround is to add abbreviated names for these particular apps to a project title, then when you next launch Cubasis/Browse and select a title, you will see what IAA’s to launch first…….but remember to close Cubasis first :wink:
Mike🍻

Hi @bikersights,

We are sorry to read about your issues.

Please give these steps a first try:

1. Close all running apps, including Cubasis.
  2. Fully shut down the iPad.
  3. Restart the iPad and Cubasis.
  4. Load the “New Project” template.

Does Cubasis works as expected on its own?

From here you can check using 3rd party apps via AU, IAA or Audiobus.

Inter-App Audio comes with many limitations and is no longer maintained by Apple, who introduced Audio Unit as its successor many years ago.

We strongly recommend using Audio Units plug-ins where feasible. When using Inter-App Audio plug-ins you may check out launching the stand-alone app versions of these plug-ins first.

Hope that helps!

Stay safe,
Lars

Update:
I’m liking Cubasis more and more. I’m just flat out avoiding IAA because most apps and plugs I am using are AUV3.

In addition, editing midi is really great and I’ve been able to use Quantize 90% etc. like I did with Logic. In addition, the built in drum kits are STELLAR. The built in plugs are great, too.

I’m becoming more familiar with the workflow day by day including using AUM to record into it for various reasons.

It really is an excellent product and i’m enjoying it immensely. :+1:t2::+1:t2::grinning:

Hi @planetguitar,

Many thanks for your kind feedback!

Update:
I’m liking Cubasis more and more. I’m just flat out avoiding IAA because most apps and plugs I am using are AUV3.

In addition, editing midi is really great and I’ve been able to use Quantize 90% etc. like I did with Logic. In addition, the built in drum kits are STELLAR. The built in plugs are great, too.

I’m becoming more familiar with the workflow day by day including using AUM to record into it for various reasons.

It really is an excellent product and i’m enjoying it immensely. :+1:t2::+1:t2::grinning:

We are very glad to read that you enjoy using Cubasis so far!!

Thanks again
& stay well,
Lars