Lots of 'micro' crashes on HALion Sonic SE.dll

Windows error reporting is seeing lots of crashes on HALion Sonic SE.dll in cubase - mainly on exit

Faulting application name: Cubase10.5.exe, version: 10.5.0.68, time stamp: 0x5da4e875
Faulting module name: HALion Sonic SE.dll_unloaded, version: 3.3.1.77, time stamp: 0x5d921adc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000003e77b60
Faulting process ID: 0x21d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d59bf086b72676
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5\Cubase10.5.exe
Faulting module path: HALion Sonic SE.dll
Report ID: 134d99cb-098a-48b8-a72a-0002ed85f00b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket 1922967800563720134, type 5
Event Name: BEX64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Cubase10.5.exe
P2: 10.5.0.68
P3: 5da4e875
P4: HALion Sonic SE.dll_unloaded
P5: 3.3.1.77
P6: 5d921adc
P7: 0000000003e77b60
P8: c0000005
P9: 0000000000000008
P10:

windows 10 - 1909

happening on both cubase 10 and 10.5 - this is new since the version 10 .5 install
halion sonic SE is not being used in any of my projects

Hi,

Make sure you have the latest HALion Sonic SE installed, please. Attach the source *.dmp file, please.

yes, latest version

no .dmp file

it a background crash - captured by error reporting - on load and unload

Hi,

Please, first fix and optimise your system, as official Steinbeg support suggested. Thanks.

err - what do you mean exactly ? Thanks.

Hi,

I have been told you have got some instruction/advice how to fix your Windows system, from Steinberg support team and you didn’t follow so far.

If no dmp file has been created, you can use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate one.

hi Martin

I know you are just trying to assist but you heard wrong - but I’m surprised that Steinberg are sharing data with you ? I see you are a SB certified training partner but do you actually work for SB ? You are aware of SB (and your) responsibilities under GDPR ? I’ll PM you to discuss.

FWIW the advice that Fabio gave was:

“the only recommendation I could give is to re-install HSSE, clear it’s preferences and, if there are other crahses reading “_unloaded” (plugins, Cubase, Cubase modules, system dlls), repair the Redistributable (the current one is the cumulative 2015-2019)”

FWIW there no other “_unloaded” crashes and the crash appears on unload AND load as you can see with the original post so the second part of this advice is irrelevant.

This hasn’t resolved the issue. Only started with the install of 10.5 as described.

I also see that you don’t run the windows version and are Mac only - so you are not able to confirm if you also have the problem.

Telling users to “first fix and optimise your system” when it’s 99% certain that this is a SB problem is slightly annoying

When you next contact Fabio can you tell him so - he still hasn’t got back to me to check if other windows systems have the same problem - it’s a very easy check and because it’s not initially noticible it’s entirely possible that it exists for other.

quick update:

renaming HALion Sonic SE.dll to .bak fixes the error, kinda obviously

You can see the error occur during the splash screen “initialising: vst 2.X plug-in manager”

I’m happy to “first fix and optimise my system” but it would be good if Steinberg would “first fix and optimise” HSSE

UPDATE 2 !!! - found the problem and the fix :slight_smile:

and yes, it’s a SB problem - and no, I didn’t need to “first fix and optimise my system”

I think this also relates to the problems that Martin keeps telling people to “Please inform the plug-in vendor.” about but I’m sure Martin is smart enough to work out the problem so I won’t give him any more clues.

And steinberg support - well I do wonder how you get away with it - you would think that you would welcome bug reports

Hi,

The only information I got was that Fabio provide you an information how to fix your system. No personal data at all.