Loud noise after processing with gain reduction in Gain Dialog (Wavelab 11.1)

I only edited the area where the noise can be heard and seen (not the stuttering area).

If I had saved the original file in question, the noise would still be there (audible and visible), but the stuttering would no longer have been heard and seen. However, I wanted you to hear and see both the stutter and the noise.
So I played back the section of the original file with Wavelab and recorded directly back into Wavelab (selecting Playback Bus as the input in the Record window). This is the recording I sent you.

It is correct, I process the files offline. The samples do not go through any external audio devices during processing, neither during playback, nor during recording.

I don’t use the External Gear plugin (I don’t even know it).

Thanks. This is clearer. The stutter was undoubtedly caused by corrupted audio, causing a CPU overload.

Another question: are you processing small audio chunks for other things than gain? And in this case, did you ever have the same corrupted audio?

I hope I have understood the question correctly:

Within an audio file I process small audio areas for other things as well, mostly via the master section for declicking or to remove plops for example. Regularly also the function with the envelope, fade in, fade out, replace audio with silence and of course “correct errors” in the correction menu and with the spectrum editor. I also often use the normalize function, but then for the entire file.
But all this is always done without errors. However, I use the function to lower the level many times more often. (Replacing audio with silence I use just as often, but does that also count in the “processing” category?)

I don’t know if it helps to narrow down the cause: the problem exists only since Wavelab 11. All previous versions did not have the problem - also not the 9.5 or the 10 versions

I found another clue. The hard disk (SSD) where the cache files are stored (C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\cache) had just under 10% free space left.
Now I cleaned up the hard drive and now about 20% is still free. Since then I have the feeling that this problem occurs much less often. I will try it again on my other computer.
Is it possible that it is related to this?

I rather don’t think so, but I can’t exclude it either.
Keep me informed if you have more news.

Hi, Martin _67

what brand is your SSD of?

Some have problems with the transfer rate is going down when the disc is getting full. Some need a firmware update to eliminate this effect.

I have seen this effect with Samsung and Crucial SSD and there was an article in a German magazine where this effect was mentioned.

Have a look if a firmware update is available…

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I actually have a Samsung SSD on one machine, but an Intel M2 SSD on the other. Therefore, this is ruled out as a cause.
Thanks anyway.

It is indeed the case that the problem is independent of how heavily the hard disk is utilized.
Today, I filled the hard disk with data as a test, so that there was only 8.5 GB / 236 GB left on the system hard disk C:\ and only 21 GB / 1620 GB left on my work hard disk.
I have edited 6 productions with 55 minutes of audio each in the past days. For these, the problem almost did not occur at all, regardless of the hard disk capacity utilization.

Hi Martin,

did anything change since you last wrote here?
I have the exact same issue. (Win 10 64, Wavelab 11.1)
Has anything changed or did you find a pleasent solution?

Looking forward to hear it!

Best
Hendrik

Hello Hendrik,
unfortunately nothing has changed. What makes a solution difficult is that you cannot reproduce the problem. Sometimes I have it quite often, sometimes not at all.

I was not able to reproduce it. But I plan to make some other attempts before the minor WaveLab update planned end of next month.

2 Likes

Hello Phillipe,

small update from me:
I just found out that the loud noise only occurs when I apply the “+6 dB” WHILE playback is running. I edited a few hours of audio WITHOUT having playback running during that, and the error never occurred there.
So I was able to reproduce the problem, so to speak. The timing of when the error occurs, on the other hand, is still random. But the error does not occur when you do NOT have the playback running.

Maybe this info helps with debugging.

Kind regards
Hendrik

1 Like

Hello everybody,

Unfortunately, the problem occurs for me regardless of whether I use the gain function during playback or not during playback.

The problem sometimes does not appear at all for hours, then again constantly.
I’ve tried to reproduce the error or reliably rule it out with all possible variants, but I haven’t succeeded.

Best regards,
Martin

Hello Phillipe,

i have the same problem since i updated to wavelab 11 pro. Currently on version 11.1.20. Aside from that version 11 is really great! I’ve been using wavelab since version 6 (skipped 10) and never had that kind of problem. For me it happens when using gain, the noise generator or rendering a plugin from the master chain. Always on selections, not the file. Most of the time it visually appears after saving, but sometimes it can be seen after the edit. I use audiofiles in 44k/48k / mono / 24 Bit from 5 sec to 20 mins. I have the feeling that the bug appears more in longer files, but that is just a feeling. I can also say that it appears while working from a network drive & while working from the intern disk (SSD).

Working on a mac (intel) OS mojave and catalina.

Thanks for any help on the matter

i made a short video of the error, if you need it.

I will soon revisit this case.

1 Like

Thank you. Just wanted to add that this happens to me while playback is running, like someone in this thread already pointed out.

I sent you a PM.

FYI, this issue has finally been identified and fixed. It will be part of the next minor update end of February.