Loud pop and no more sound

When I press play it plays fine maybe 2-3 times. But on the 4th attempt when I stop playback there is a loud popping sound (almost like all the instruments sound together or a cable has been pulled out.) Then all sound stops and I have to reload to playback template by switching to another one and back or exit dorico all together. It seems there are some issues with Dorico 2.2 and playback but this issue started happening for me before the update happened. I’m using Note Performer 3.

Scott, what is your buffer set to on your audio interface? Check in Preferences. You may want to set it higher.

Seems to have fixed everything! Thanks Dan

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Still happening, but the time it takes for it to happen is longer now… :frowning:

Scott, if you’re using HALion you might want to try NotePerformer 3.1. It puts far less load on the CPU than HALion and you can play back huge orchestrations with absolutely no dropouts. Plus it sounds really good.

Hamhm3, I am using NotePerformer 3.1. It seems just to break after awhile of being using in one big spectacular popping sound that scares the crap out of me each time!

Can you tell me anything about your audio hardware? Are you on Windows or Mac? Are you using a dedicated audio device, or a built-in soundcard? If you’re on Windows, are you using the Generic Lower-Latency ASIO Driver, or ASIO4ALL? Have you tried using the other one of whichever one of those you’re not currently using?

That would definitely be scary! Sorry you’re having that problem. Usually playback problems involve either the buffer size, as Dan mentioned, or the sample rate in the audio device (which normally should be set to 44.1 kHz). Hopefully someone here can provide more help.

Hi Scott, when you have that loud pop, please go to Help > Create Diagnostic Report. That will create a zip file on your desktop, please send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.

@ScottRM

I’ve got same issue and also using Note Performer - did you find a solution to that problem?

Hi Ulf, I have been having the same issue. It just happened so I will send the diagnostic report to your email address.
I am currently using Asio4all with 2048 sample buffer. But it also happened with the generic ASIO driver.

I’ve experienced this too, albeit very rarely.

This is a known issue in NotePerformer - see this thread for more information: Noteperfomer Issue - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Arne has a fix for it, so you will need to contact him

I’m having the same issue, but I have discovered what’s causing it and how to (sort of) solve it. In my case it’s a couple of instruments I have that have extremely low, almost inaudible, powerful low frequencies. At first I thought it was just the load, but by applying a high pass filter on the instruments the problem went away. I tested the same setup with Cubase and other unmentionable notation programs without the high pass filter and I get no problems, so it only happens with Dorico.

I can replicate it every time, even after restarts.

fyi, I just experienced this issue with noteperformer 3.2.0.
hit P, Huge bang… no more sound.
exit/restart program , everything fine.

A fix is available in NotePerformer 3.3.0 but Arne Wallander has not made that version public, yet.
But you may ask him kindly for a beta.

+1 more getting the loud pop and then no sound. A simple reload always sorts it.

I’ve just answered this before: A fix is available in the next NotePerformer update. You may ask Wallander Instruments to receive a beta version since it is not public, yet.