Loudness Track vs. Audio Statistics Integrated Loudness

I don’t understand the logic in the above Fredo. The whole point of the measurement is to create an average, so how can you “measure only once”?

The way I see it the difference would something like you reading numbers off of a string of paper. In one case you are staring straight down at a table, and I move the string of paper with the numbers on it past you. You see the numbers, do the math. In the other example the string just lies there, and you move your head and eyes to read the numbers and do the math. Same numbers, same order. Why would there be a difference?

Depends on where the difference lie. I know that some companies run an analysis on deliverables and if peak is above a specific value you get stuff rejected. It doesn’t matter to them if their specs say -8dBFS peak and you come in at -7.49 instead of -7.58, it’s still over after having been rounded. The person doing the measurement is a “robot” and doesn’t care about if there are any real world negative effects, he just cares about whether or not the number is correct.

So at least with one of my tests there was a big discrepancy with delay compensation constrained (which I agree is not a scenario most would use, but I’ll try again today).

Could you please try again with a real mix?

Well, we don’t really know how things were rounded without seeing two numbers for the same parameters: One before rounding and another after.

A slight misunderstanding - I should have expressed this more clearly as follows:
It is only Nuendo’s statistics which has two decimal places. Compared to the two decimal place Nuendo statistics integrated value, the Nuendo Quick Analysis integrated value seems to get rounded down whereas the Wavelab integrated value seems to get rounded to the nearest value.

Since the Nuendo statistics matches the Wavelab statistics very closely indeed, I would tend to have confidence in the accuracy of Nuendo’s statistics results.

If you’ve found differences between the output stream and the same stream recorded onto a track, this may mean that you are proving that there is a difference between the output stream and the exported file? You might run into problems if your mix contains effects and VSTi s which do not play back exactly the same each time.

When you recorded the mix onto a track did the mix null when you activated the recorded mix track’s phase reverse switch? If they do not null then comparing the loudness between the two is void.

Just tried comparing a mix output stream and 32-bit imported mix track here and the results are still similar. There’s a variation in the loudness range but there are no significant differences between the integrated and true peak values of the quick analysis and statistics results.

Could you please now try with a single file? I’d be curious to know what results you get.

That would only make sense if the measurements were between a different pass of playback versus recording. As far as I recall that wasn’t the case. But I’ll do it again.

Well, yes, it would be void, but unless (as I said above) the two compared are from different “passes” of playback there’s a real problem. The final stereo audio stream shouldn’t change between output and writing file to disk. That would be terrible programming.

Sure. I’ll have time later today.