Loving VST Connect save for one thing.

Hi guys. Been trying Cubase pro 10 along side connect and so far so good. Except for one issue . The performer, a singer records fine but comes thru on the performer track one side only. Any idea as to why this is.

Many thanks

Gary

hi Gary

A few different fixes for this :slight_smile:

You know you can remote control the Performer app from the cubase PC ? This means you can change the inputs to the various monitoring/recording channels from the comfort of your armchair :slight_smile:

look on the mixer tab - by default there are 5 faders:

MASTR - STDIO …VST I - Mic - Instr (you can rename these - it’s just a guide!)

You can select the source for each of these in small text box just under where it says MONITORING
Strictly speaking these are all stereo - but they don’t need to be. Click on the text in the Mic channel and pick the MONO input that the mic is connected to…not the stereo input it’s connected to. Bingo - it comes back in 2 channel mono :slight_smile:

ALSO

You don’t actually need to use a stereo feed - that’s just what the “VST Cloud” menu in cubase adds by default. You can actually just create mono input channel and add the vst connect pro/se plugin to that INSTEAD of the stereo input (you can only have it on ONE channel)

REMEMBER

the MONITORING section is just for the performer (apart from the input select) - the RECORD section is for what gets back to the studio…including pans/levels.

See if that makes sense

Also it’s worth trying the latest beta from connectvst.com - it’s enabled cycled recording which is very useful.

hi d.

Super reply and so very clear and precise. Makes perfect sense so thank you for that. Your advise worked like a dream.

Just now have to work our why I, as a user of Cubase Pro 10.0.50 pro and being the host I’m unable to utilise the effects as sa to give the performer say reverb at their end. I understand the reverb isn’t recorded my end but performers , particularly singers like a touch of reverb their end. I have noted that I’m using Connect Pro Se…

Once again thank you so very much.

Gary

Hi Gary

this is fairly straightforward but a bit hidden away :slight_smile: You can’t use your ‘local’ cubase plugins at the performer end BUT the reverb/compressor/eq that are in the performer app (at the bottom of the mixer) are all there for the performers monitor feed (NOT for the studio feed). There is even 4 vst plugin slots too (for vst plugins on the PERFORMER computer NOT the studio plugins)

To activate the reverb there is a tiny (hidden!) slider just above the PAN control on the ‘channel strip’. This is a ‘reverb send’ level. If you download the latest beta from connectvst.com it now says “reverb” on it…although the latest beta seems to have lost the text from the actual reverb SIZE/DAMP/WIDTH controls but hey :slight_smile:

give it a go and see if that works ?

The only thing that’s not straightforward is to add reverb or fx to the STUDIO monitor feed…I’m hoping they come up with a solution to that…

Hi Gary

this is fairly straightforward but a bit hidden away :slight_smile: You can’t use your ‘local’ cubase plugins at the performer end BUT the reverb/compressor/eq that are in the performer app (at the bottom of the mixer) are all there for the performers monitor feed (NOT for the studio feed). There is even 4 vst plugin slots too (for vst plugins on the PERFORMER computer NOT the studio plugins)

To activate the reverb there is a tiny (hidden!) slider just above the PAN control on the ‘channel strip’. This is a ‘reverb send’ level. If you download the latest beta from connectvst.com it now says “reverb” on it…although the latest beta seems to have lost the text from the actual reverb SIZE/DAMP/WIDTH controls but hey :slight_smile:

give it a go and see if that works ?

The only thing that’s not straightforward is to add reverb or fx to the STUDIO monitor feed…I’m hoping they come up with a solution to that…
[/quote]

Hi d. Again many thanks . I’ve used the options you’ve suggested with great results. Alas as you mention such a shame the engineer can’t monitor the effects, comp eq added. Of course you can insert a reverb an pd by using the monitor on the performer track get some sense of effects added but that of course introduces the dreaded latency. I’ll try later by using a send to a reverb in the performers track. That way only the reverb will be affected by latency… might be an option.

I’ve also noted there’s a half price option regards Connect Pro, full version down to half price.

Other then the option to multi track is this something you think I should consider.
Many thanks

Gary

I don’t think you’ll find using a reverb send in the performer track particularly satisfactory. The delay can be over a second, which is a LOT of pre-delay ! (try it by configuring the reverb send PRE-fade and bring down the fader) - In my opinion it needs an extra plugin section, ideally built into the VST monitor plugin. Then you can use whatever LOCAL plugins you want

There is a very very complicated way of routing the artist signal back into the monitor queue (depending on the Performer audio interface and tech setup). So you could send the reverb signal from the artist back to the studio on 1 channel but record the dry channel - basically it’s a bit of a mess.

There are a few advantages to the PRO version (at this time!) - my thoughts are :

• Multitrack - but the send back to the studio is still stereo only, the performer records multitrack locally - see my comments on HD transfer

• Lossless ‘codec’ - I find 320kb/s fine, the lossless seems a bit flakey to me, hits the bandwidth a bit much.

• Studio pass app (like a mini performer app ) - This is a good idea BUT currently broken for recent IOS !

• LAN - not sure why anybody would choose to use it on the LAN, the compromises are far too much IMO

• Encryption - for me not at all important

• HD Transfer - this is how you transfer the recordings that were made locally on the performer (including multitrack). This whole area is a bit clunky (IMO!) it’s not particularly slick or efficient on bandwidth

I’d strongly suggest you get a 30 day demo licence and see if you like or need the extra features. The sale is on until the end of June so you have plenty of time to decide

Bear in mind that I’m a great believer in supporting the development of these kind of tools - and if you can afford to it’s nice to contribute to the further development. VST connect PRO has never been on sale before so it’s great time to buy.

Again many thanks d.

Now if they could only work a way out for the studio to monitor the effects added in real time then that would be fab.

Again

Many thanks d

Gary

I’m pushing hard for that !

I guess you’re talking different issues here. You can record Performer inserts - but not reverb and eq, that doesn’t make sense as we can assume that Studio has the better fx. What you want is to have Studio fx while monitoring/recording. We want that too, and are working on it.

:slight_smile: