Low buffer rate = misery

Better latency than never. I whisper it to drum machines, it always puts the guitarist off. :laughing:

Popman, thanks for all the tips, but as Conman already figured out, if I had taken the time to do that, I wouldn’t have found myself in this position. Luckily I can pay my way out of this one.

The computer you are referencing is now my Internet machine, my cubase projects have been saved to an external hard drive, and I’m eagerly awaiting my new computer. Yes it is up to date and very powerful, but I would like to get into way more sample oriented music than before, and have a machine that will stick around for 5 to 7 years. Wish the P4 well, as it is off to greener pastures with less demanding workloads. When you see multiple posts telling you to hang it up, you hang it up. Don’t worry Popman, you seem like a good source to bug with stupid questions. I won’t forget you.

CONMAN, my drummer is why I’m looking into drum samplers. I actually have 2 drummers, my band and my brother, and I can’t get either one up to the studio :cry: . My band drummer cries over 5ms of latency and hates studio recording to begin with. He also hates that I overdub and he can’t. He thinks we should record live and move on, or go to a professional studio. I tell him, come up with $2000 for a 5 song demo or shut the f up. But I love him like a brother. You think I’m bad with a p4. He doesn’t see what the fuss is all about with the Internet, thinks we will make it the good ol grass roots way, by playing out. Too bad we’re all in our 40’s except our singer/songwriter who just turned 30.

I’m serious about the tracking latency. I wonder how many people happy with software monitoring have tracked via an analog cue mix recently.

You can usually spend your way put of computer problems. If buying a new machine and concerned with latency…you want triple or quad channel ram with low CAS latency ram modules. And the fastest CLOCK SPEED i7 you can afford…and a PCIE audio interface.

You can, if you need to link up the two machines, midi on one and audio on the other.
Also, to record drums live at rehearsals, look up the Zoom H2. (£$€ 200 about or less) Record the drums live, albeit he’d still need to be in a different room to get separation and also try to avoid long crashes maybe. The beauty of the latter is you can then break that drum part down to components and change it (from audio) to a midi track which can then be manipulated.
Olympus has just released a new recorder (but twice the price) that has very high SPLs.

That what I do…one is just not a PC!

I have the Cubase6 PC over at the keyboard station for sequencing and VI hosting…audio is recorded by my Akai DPS 24. But, should it fail, second machine would still be the way to go. Go full 96k without any oddness that comes from real time resampling VIs.