LUFS QUestion

I try to mix my tracks to about -15-14 LUFS.
Every time I tweak the parameters, I have to listen to the whole track through to get the Integrated LUFS reading. If the track is 4 minutes, and I do that half a dozen times, it takes half an hour.
Is there a shortcut, where Cubase can just read the track thru and tell me the I-LUFS?

You can export an audio mix down of the stereo track and just save it to the audio project file. Select create an audio track. And then use the statistics feature in the audio menu

1 Like

Another way to do this is to create a stereo audio track that we will call for example PRINT and a group that we will call SUBMIX.

ROUTING

All FX tracks to Submix
All Audio Tracks to Submix
All Instruments Tracks to Submix
All Groups Tracks to Submix

Submix Track to Stereo Out

Input Submix to Print Track
Output nothing to Print Track

Record your mix to Print Track and use the statistics feature in the audio menu to check LUFS Loudness

Don’t worry about specific loudness while mixing. Just keep some headroom. It’s much easier to do this while mastering a single audio file.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother getting the loudness right until you have got a mix you’re happy with.

1 Like

I’ve worked with organizations that have a specific I-LUFS in the delivery spec. It was very difficult to achieve. (-16 I-LUFS with peaks hitting exactly -2dbfs) I think they ended up using Izotope on their end to do it. (RX has a function for this I think?) I guess some dynamic control is needed to make this happen.

Reaper has a ‘normalize to I-LUFS’ function. (maybe one of the SWS extensions) Interestingly, it uses clip gain to do this.

A bit of a derail but it’s something I’m interested in so…

If this procedure did show there was a peak too high, does Cubase have a way to point out there in the mix it occurs?

Thanks to everyone for their replies. So what I take from this is that Cubase has no easy way to normalize to a desired I-LUFS level.

If you want to see individual track integrated Lufs just highlight the track and choose statistics in the audio menu bar.

Thanks, wickham_sky, that’s really helpful. Now I understand your first post better.
There’s a thing I don’t understand tho. I imported a track. Statistics said it was at -17 LUFS. I wanted it a bit higher, so I boosted it by 3 dB (by pulling the little track arrow). But afterwards it still read -17 LUFS. So I gave it a much bigger boost, but it still read the same.
DO you know why?

I think that for some reason Cubase/Nuendo does statistics on the saved file, and not the file +/- any clip-gain change. If you wanted to measure it correctly you’d basically have to bounce it first and then re-measure it.

I’m going to make this a feature request in the Nuendo section because it seems like a questionable design decision to me.

Have you tried?

You’ll want to render the tracks after adjustments to get a proper reading. Use render in place, settings set to channel settings. That will give you a new wave length to analyze.

Thanks to everyone. That’s really helpful. I’ve got several solutions now.