In this example, I wanted an asterisk from a different typeface, which I added using Edit Single Lyric. However, it changed the baseline.
I imagine this returns to the “alignment based on font metrics, not baselines” discussion, but I thought I’d post it. I can work around this by adding a text object, but it’s not ideal.
I tried something similar to see if shifting the asterisk vertically could solve it and, to my surprise, it makes no difference! This doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t see the point of aligning lyrics by anything other than the baseline. That’s what a baseline is for.
Edit: I ended up assigning it to a downstem voice to adjust it independently, which works ok.
As I understand it, Dorico doesn’t calculate on baselines, but on font metrics. That’s why two typefaces with different metrics will not appear aligned. The vertical shift is an override and doesn’t affect the overall calculation (I’m guessing here).
This has bitten me before as well, Dan. Independent text objects are usually my way around it.