Lyric Font size in Full Score vs. Pno-vocal reduction?

I’m in need to have a different font size for the lyrics between the Full score (A3 paper, small staff size) and the Piano-Vocal reduction (A4 “like” and larger staff size). I can’t get a setting that works for both using the absolute or staff-relative settings.

Is there maybe a work-around? I’d like to keep all in the same document and not have to split them apart.

Thanks!

One work-around is to set the font to the settings that work for the most layouts (or in this case if there are only 2, whichever one you prefer) and then use the Scale/Custom scale properties (set Locally) to adjust their size in the other layout. You can select all lyrics quickly by selecting the whole flow (e.g. in Write mode, select one thing in the flow then press Ctrl/Cmd-A) then filter for lyrics.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there isn’t a good way to automate this. I’ve been known to select a single lyric, then Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-A (Select more) a few times, then set the custom scale property (locally) to 120% (or whatever’s needed). The downside is that if you modify a lyric at a later date, you need to remember to scale it.

Ah - pipped to the post. Thanks Lillie :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You set 'em up, I knock 'em down - or something to that effect.

3 Likes

My selection process is (generally) quicker, though :wink:

1 Like

WOW, you guys never cease to amaze me! I’m gonna give it a try!!

THANKS!

1 Like

The joy of having lots of selection methods is you can take your pick :smiley:

3 Likes

It seems that: Write mode, only all lyrics selected, Properties Show All, Show Local only, the size and scale parameters don’t show up? It looks like “Globally only” needs to be selected for the scaling things to show-up. Am I missing something?

“Show local only” will only show you properties that are already set locally, I think, so if you haven’t already scaled locally then it won’t show.

The only local/global thing that matters is the one on the far right: set local properties. It needs to be set to “local” or your scaling will affect all layouts (except ones where you’ve overridden the scaling locally).

1 Like

Ok so on the right it’s set to “Set local properties Locally”
Strangely it seems that with all the lyrics selected, the custom scale doesn’t have any incidence over the size. I set it to 50% or 150%, it doesn’t change the size of the lyrics. Is that because I’m using an “absolute” size for my lyrics?

Ah! Yes, quite possibly. Set your lyric font to staff-relative and then try scaling again.

Staff-relative pt sizes are based on a staff size of 20pts, which is roughly 7mm (half way between a rastral size 5 and rastral size 6 IIRC), so nip into Layout Options, see what the staff size is, then take the absolute size, divide by 7 and multiply by your staff height to get the appropriate staff-relative value.

Given I’ve explained this terribly, here’s an example:
My absolute font is 9pt, and works fine in my A4 score.
My staff size (in my A4 score) is 6mm.
In order to convert the absolute font size to the equivalent relative size, I divide 9 by 7 and then multiply by 6. Result: roughly 7.7pt.

3 Likes

A big thanks to @pianoleo & @Lillie_Harris !!

2 Likes