Lyrics don't extend correctly

I have a complete line, the first one, that ends with the Portuguese word ‘Tu’ (You) on a whole note. However, in the same spot on the second line, I have the word ‘Humildade’ (Humility), where the syllables ‘-da-de’ end on the whole note. To fix this syllable problem, I added a second voice in unison and placed those syllables there. However, they don’t connect properly because they are not part of the same voice as the first syllables (‘Hu-mil-’) ‘-da-de.’ Is there a way to fix this?

Here is an example of a piece of music where this happens.

Captura de Tela 2023-02-22 às 1.49.12 AM

*The example I put under the question is from Schubert’s Der König in Thule, D.367 Breitkopf & Härtel, 1895. Plate F.S. 599.

Despite it is not a whole note as in my case, it uses two different voices when the Lyric ‘Kö-nig’ appears, and it connects properly between the notes of two different voices, I wonder if it is possible in Dorico?

What you can do is make sure that you have notes in the same voice that cover all five syllables of “humilidade”, input the lyrics for the whole word, then remove the additional notes in the extra voice that you no longer require. The lyrics will stay put, particularly if you have other notes with the same rhythm in a different voice.

2 Likes

Sometimes what I do is activate note input mode, then use Shift-L to put a lyric in that voice, even if there is no note present.

2 Likes