Lyrics problem for choir

I am writing a piece for choir and orchestra. One part sings the choir A- - – If I write an A- in the lyrics, Dorico continues to write – - - which is perfectly fine, but it continues to write - - - even when the choir part has stopped singing, which makes that it does not hide the empty systems in the score. How do I make - - - disappear after they stop singing. Now they only disappear when the choir receives regular text.

Hyphens normally tell the singer that there is another syllable to come. Dorico will continue hyphens until the next syllable. So you need an invisible syllable on the last note. Use a non-breaking space (Shift Alt Space).

If you just want them to sing “Ah”, then it’s more usual to use an extension line, which tells the singer that one syllable is to continue.

There are exceptions to this, such as where a word (like “Amen”) is ‘broken’ in some parts, like the end of Laudate pueri in Monterverdi’s Vespers.

what @benwiggy says is correct but one important thing to remember is that your choir (you don’t say which one you are using) pays no attention to the lyrics in the score but only to the notes. One note for each sound. This means that the few choirs which can actually sing text need to have the text programmed externally, matching hyphens and melismas where appropriate to what’s in the score as there is to date no virtual choir which can read lyrics direct from a notation software.

You seem to have presumed that they are not using humans.?

OK – I see your point. I was perhaps reading something into this post that isn’t actually there. This is maybe simply a lesson in how to write lyrics correctly in a score.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Now it works fine. Regarding on who sings, it’s a choir made up of humans. At least the last time I saw them, but you never know these ai days. But I think they can read and sing lyrics.

At least the upper three parts.

2 Likes

Isn’t it usually the tenors who bear the brunt of these types of accusations?

perhaps in my choir, the addition of some AI bodies wouldn’t be a bad idea. For the last service/concert , I was the only male tenor, though 4 altos were kind enough to help out.

I was going to say the Altos. After all, most of the time they only have to sing an E.

1 Like

Yes, like the poor violists.

2 Likes

dko22, have a look at the virtual singer (part of PDF2Music), quite stunning results since many years already:
https://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/virtualsinger.htm

from a few demos, quite stunningly awful results, certainly. Hardly surprising I’ve never heard of it. Even if it worked within any known notation software like Dorico, I wouldn’t dream of using it. At the moment we’re pretty well stuck with the EWQL choirs in Wordbuilder. or something like Cantamus which, within a narrow remit, is remarkably good but the trouble is it’s not a VST and you can only upload MusicXML files to its website for processing.

Still, there are hints from Arne Wallander that he’d love to be able to do do something like this in NotePerformer but there’ll be a lot of work to do before something like that can be realised.

2 Likes