Lyrics Translation | Click | Crash

Good day. I’ve tried this with three different files with lyrics. If I choose a bar of lyrics (or system of lyrics, or all flow lyrics) and then click on “Translation”, Dorico crashes.

I’m on a Mac and when the crash happens, this appears in Terminal:

/Applications/Dorico\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 4 ; exit;
{mycompername}@Davids-MBP ~ % /Applications/Dorico\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 4 ; exit;
[2022-01-27 12:56:50.189] [info] initUtilities — START
[2022-01-27 12:56:50.200] [info] initUtilities — END: duration 10ms
qrc:/Dorico/DocumentWindow/Toolbar/ToolbarForm.ui.qml:125:13: QML MouseArea: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
qrc:/Dorico/Controls/EnumButton.qml:61:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/Dorico/DocumentWindow/PlayMode/AutomationLaneSelector.qml:83:17: QML MouseArea: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
qml: positionRequested
qrc:/Dorico/DocumentWindow/PlayMode/MIDIEditor.qml:81: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘currentVoiceID’ of null
qrc:/Dorico/DocumentWindow/PlayMode/MIDIEditor.qml:81: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘currentVoiceID’ of null
qml: toolbar width 712
qml: toolbar width 712
zsh: segmentation fault /Applications/Dorico\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 4
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.
Deleting expired sessions… 3 completed.

[Process completed]

I just tested this in D4 and I was able to change a lyric to a translation without incident. That said, I have had to send two other files to Daniel that have exhibited other weird behavior regarding lyrics. I suspect that your file contains one of those bugs. I’ve been told that a number of bug fixes regarding lyrics will be implemented in the very near maintenance update. That is not to dissuade you from sending in (or sharing here) your file. But it is possible that within one/two week’s time the issue will be resolved.

Also, if you want the dev team to dig deep into what’s going on, you’ll need to share the file (zip it up if you cant attach it) or send it directly to d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de and then they will want an actual diagnostic report to go along with it. (It puts the file on your desktop.)

Thanks Romanos, (need to select more than one lyric for crash to happen). I’ve attached the diagnostic report.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (970.9 KB)

There’s still something odd with your file. As you can see in this example I’m not getting a crash.
translation lyrics

I did also double check with another file that had multiple verses and same successful result:
lytircs translation 2

That’s interesting because I tried 3 different files from previous versions of Dorico. I’ll post one file here.
He Leadeth Me - VU 657.dorico (856.3 KB)

Well, cue the scifi music, because I was able to convert your lyrics without a problem:
lyrics translation 3

lol - spooky! :scream:
Well . . . Thanks for checking it out anyway. Maybe someone will find something in the diagnostic report.

I am curious—since you are on a mac—are you intel or M1?

intel

And I’m running m1 native. I wonder if that could be a contributing factor.

1 Like

I can confirm that David’s crashes are indeed related to the same problem that prevents some valid projects created in Dorico 3.5 from opening in Dorico 4. Sorry for the inconvenience. This problem will be fixed in the maintenance update that we expect to release in a few days’ time.

3 Likes