I know this thread seems like it’s getting complicated, and I’m trying to solve this from multiple angles but still encounter problems (and some may verge on bugs, while others are just complicated Dorico behaviors that I wish were simpler). I think this discussion is forking, so let me know if it’s your preference to create separate threads to debug separate approaches.
As things stand now, I have not entered those 9 notes directly into the top stave; they are entered into the bottom stave then I’ve used Cross To Staff Above. I did try selecting the orange notes, pressing shift-C, typing 8va, then pressing opt-return, as suggested. This yields the 8va sign over the bottom stave, not the top:
If I select the newly-created 8va sign and press opt-n to move it to the staff above, this is what results, and I would say this must be a bug because it doesn’t cover the same notes, AND has not shown the notes an octave down, AND creates vestigial rests:
If I follow this train, my only way to fix it would be to try and extend the 8va line to the end of the bar (instead of two notes before, as shown in the screenshot), but it can’t be dragged. I still don’t know why.
At this point, I’m beyond frustrated, so I hit undo. After hitting undo 7 times, I get back to this, which is NOT my original music - the selected notes are now drawn down an octave compared to before I started doing all this! This must be a bug, right?
So to urgently fix this and protect the original notes in the score, I manually select those notes and use Write > Transpose to transpose them up one octave. After I do this, they look like this! Again wrong, and it must be a bug:
But now if I hit undo one more time, NOW the notes go back to their original place:
And I’m back where I started, having not solved the original problem of trying to put a simple 8va over those notes.
Currently, with all of the above approaches, these notes “belong” to the lower stave. Entirely separate from this, I’ve also tried to Edit > Cut those notes from the lower stave and paste them into the upper stave, which should be a simpler solution, but I encountered problems doing that too. I’ll refrain from posting them at this moment, because I don’t want to clutter an already cluttered thread. (I can post them later, or in a different thread.) I realize that might be the simpler solution to my overall problem, but, one problem at a time, and feel free to tell me to give up on the above approach (applying an 8va to notes that are crossed over from the bottom stave), but I did want to document [what I believe is] buggy behavior first.