I’ve recently been researching M/S processing to help the stereo fields of my mixing and mastering processes and I think I know how to encode an M/S signal within cubase, basically would like confirmation if my method is correct or someone to say HELL NO that’s totally wrong…
So here goes:
- The source signal runs from a stereo track (this track has no bus output).
- I add a group track and call it “mid” and send the signal there from the source.
- I add 2 group tracks and pan one hard left the other hard right and I send the signals to both from the source track.
- The group track that I pan hard left I phase reverse then send both hard left and hard right groups to a group called “sides”.
- Now I group the “mid” group and “sides” group to a final group track called “M/S encoded”.
So in my theory I’ve now created a mid side signal from a stereo signal, does this sound right to anyone who has experience with M/S encoding? If so then how would I decode the signal again? Would love some feedback, thanks!