M1 max performance Dorico 4 is it worth it?

tbabcock… Yes, thank you. That would be very helpful. Knowing the difference between the M1Max and the iMacPro on the change from Page to Galley view (and visa versa) would be very good. Thank you!

FYI, because I work for a university, I can’t make the move to Dorico 4 until Steinberg completes the multi-seat site license.

Thank you Benwiggy. I can’t switch to Dorico 4 until Steinberg finishes the multi-seat site license.

But get this…! I used the “silence” playback template and the time to move from score to galley dropped to about 17 seconds, Galley to score—about 7 seconds. Like so many other Dorico users, I love and use NotePerformer. But, when I went to return to use the NotePerformer template, all of my non-NotePerformer VST instruments (Halion and Aria) were missing. Furthermore, the speed to switch from Score to Galley was with just NotePerformer driving the file was only a few seconds longer than “Silence,” about 20 seconds, and the switch from Galley to Score was about 10.

Obviously, I don’t know how VST choice affects speed, nor have I read about this in this excellent forum. Do any of the rest of you?

If you applied the NotePerformer Playback Template to restore NP sounds, then any manual changes to HALion or ARIA you’ve made won’t be included. If you’ve set up your own template with HALion, Garritan and NotePerformer, then you should expect them all to come back.

There’s certainly some correlation between the size of samples and performance in Dorico, even for non-playback operations.

Anecdotally, I believe that some types of notation are costlier than others: so Cues, percussion, Slash Regions, etc might add to the delay. Condensing obviously is the big one.

Size and number of Flows also affects things, though I regularly deal with projects approaching 100 Flows and several hundred pages, with little slow down. So there may be an X factor, too…

1 Like

I’m looking at upgrading my rig soon. I’ve been gradually creating my own VST template and I’m starting to get some serious lagging.

In your opinion, is working on a project in Silent mode a helpful way to figure out whether I’m lacking CPU or RAM? I’m finding it very difficult to narrow down what I need to be upgrading…

It’s a helpful way to see if the problem lies in the VSTs, be it particular players, or large numbers.

If you have a project that shows significant slow-down, then do send it to the dev team, so that can see what they can do to improve things in the future.

There are utilities to show you your RAM and CPU usage, which will pinpoint whether ‘more hardware!’ will help. But it may not.

Some activities are single-threaded, so having a 28-core monster won’t improve matters much.

Additionally, for those single-threaded tasks, one may actually take a performance HIT if one purchases a cpu that has so many cores that the base clock speed is slower than other cpus. It’s common that on particularly high core-count cpus (say, 16-24 cores) to have a lower base clock speed relative to those with fewer cores (4-12).

My brain just exploded lol

1 Like

M1 Max MacBook Pro: rosetta - page view to galley view 8 seconds; galley view to page view 4 seconds plus or minus a few 10ths of a second

Native - page view to galley view 7 seconds; galley view to page view 3 seconds (again plus or minus a few 10ths). My measurement method isn’t the most accurate but clearly, under Native mode, the file is quicker in most things. It’s just that NotePerformer has yet to be optimized for Native mode.

tbabcock123,

Thank you! What kind of file were you using for your test? Is this the test Dan Kreider is suggesting? How many flows? Were you driving any VSTs? Again, thank you so much for what you’re doing.

The file is the one I described before. The test is the one you suggested in your original post - going from Page View to Galley View and back. It’s a piano score (with some graphics and text frames) in the score (page view only). It’s basically a review of Piston’s book titled “Harmony” the fifth edition. So far there are 22 flows (each flow corresponds to a chapter in the book) and each flow contains about 1000 bars (that include some ossias). So far, the file weighs in at 24MB. I’m using NotePerformer - which only works in Rosetta2 mode.

1 Like

Thank you tbabcock123!

I’m always amazed at the depth of knowledge displayed in this forum, and the generosity with which it is shared. I think that it’s something of a reflection of the attitude and culture that Daniel Spreadbury and his team have strived to create from the beginnings of Dorico—a culture of helpfulness.

As someone who used older notation software beginning in 1989, writing daily with it until version 1 of Dorico was released, I’m so very grateful for like-minded people like you, tbabcock123, so willing to give your time to help others, so inclined to contribute to the community.

5 Likes