M1 Max

Will Dorico run on the new M1 Max chip?

If so, I can place my order!

I have a feeling that’s why Dorico 4 was delayed…

1 Like

It already runs just fine on a regular M1, so yes.


The development team have committed to making Dorico 4 run natively on Apple silicon (and had a development build that ran natively albeit with caveats in January this year), and 3.5.12 runs fine under Rosetta.


New Macbook M1 Max on the way to my house soon then! :slight_smile:

There’s no difference in the instruction set between any of Apple’s chips. If it runs on M1, it will run on M1 Max.

I’ve just dropped far too much money on one of those MBPs.

One fly in the ointment is that to run Dorico natively, all the VST plug-ins you use must be native too. Otherwise, you have to run Dorico in Rosetta.


Me too, even though I only just bought the 13" MacBook Pro M1 last year (which will soon be handed down to my wife, who’s currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro).

But the M1 has been the best, most performant computer I’ve ever owned, and the chance to have an even faster version, crucially with a higher memory ceiling (since building Dorico in Xcode means I’m often hitting the 16GB ceiling on the M1) was one that I couldn’t pass up.


I’m eager to get one of those, although I was a bit disappointed with the price tag. A little over what I’ve budgeted for, and I wouldn’t like to have to choose between that and Dorico 4. I definitely want the 16” size and I don’t think the base model is going to hold up for all the years I’m expecting it to do. Anyway, my 2012 MacBook Pro is really showing its age.
I’m also holding back considering that a new EU law will come to force on January 2022 extending the warranty period for the computer from 2 to 3 years. For a machine of that price it’s worth considering!

1 Like

Statutory law in the EU already means that if it has a manufacturing defect, you can already get a replacement/repair free within 3 years at least.

I bought the 16", but couldn’t stump up the extra £400 for 32 Gb RAM, so only got 16. But from what I hear, the virtual memory optimization, RAM compression, fast storage, plus Magic™ (waves hands) seems to make it go further. So I’m betting myself that I should be alright.

Even the base model 14" is absurdly fast: I’m not doing 8K video, I barely tax the 6 cores of my 2018 Mini as it is. It’s 2D print work, same as in the 1990s, plus a bit of Logic Pro.
I do a bit of coding in Xcode, but nothing on the scale of Dorico. (The very idea that you can compile Dorico on a laptop is insane.)

All of us in the development team work on laptops to build the Mac version. There’s one iMac Pro in the team, but these days that’s mostly used by Ant for video production work.


I’m unfamiliar with the concept of Statutory law, but I know that, whereas there’s a directive of the EU, it only comes into effect into member states when they transpose that to their own code. In Portugal, the law that was published yesterday that transposes the EU law comes into effect the 1st of January, and it is my understanding that it’s that law that extends the warranty period from 2 to 3 years. At least, that’s what all the media were saying.
I’m also hesitant about 16 or 32 Gigabytes. I know I don’t need the 32 now, but I also know that I cannot change my mind later if I need them down the line. And I like to keep my computers for like forever.

Does that mean that users will need more than 16GB in the future?

That’s more than 16Gb needed to make the application from the code. That doesn’t mean the app will need more than 16 Gb to run.

That having been said, Dorico uses up around 1 to 2Gb, the VST Engine can use a few gigs more, depending on the sample libraries. Plus everything else that’s going on on your computer. 16Gb should ‘sufficient’ for some time.

Can I assume that, despite the thread title, most here are going for Pro rather than Max?

I suspect I shall be holding fire for a while, but it’ll be interesting to see how D4 fares with larger projects on the new machines.

1 Like

Apparently, Max NEEDS 32Gb RAM. So the upgrade cost is £200 from Pro to Max, plus £400 for the extra memory. You can’t run Max on 16Gb.

(Oh, and apparently, the RAM is the newest LPDDR5, and is actually priced at the going rate.)

Given that the Pro is about twice as fast as the original M1, I have no qualms about Dorico’s performance.

1 Like

Only a bit? Because of my organ software, I could really use the pro Max version with 64gb of ram. (I’ve been hitting my current 32gb ram limit for years.) The cheapest model with 64gb is a whopping *$3,900.

Not today, sunshine. Here’s to hoping those higher ram limits trickle down to the iMac mini. Sigh.

A 14" with BTO options for M1 Max and 64Gb is ‘only’ $3,300. The 16" is $3,500.

However, I’d be surprised if wouldn’t run smoothly with less.

I didn’t realize that the 14 inch model came with the promax; I would be interested in the 16 inch model. This is what it shows me in the USA:

Everything else is “base spec”.

No, definitely not. 8GB should be absolutely sufficient, unless you’re working with huge sample libraries.

Do you think the notch will be annoying?