M1 native support and licensing

does this mean that all users who used halion 6 on a dongle can all transfer their license out of the dongle and use it without dongle now? Or is it just for newly purchases licenses?

I asked someone selling Halion 6 and they said I’d still need to use a dongle for it

You cannot transfer an eLicenser licence to another person on soft eLicenser - you have to use a USB eLicenser. This means that resold licences are always on USB eLicenser.

You cannot transfer an eLicenser licence from USB eLicenser to soft eLicenser.

The only way to get HALion 6 on soft eLicenser is to buy a new licence yourself or buy an update/crossgrade from another licence that is already on soft eLicenser.

These restrictions do not exist in Steinberg Licensing.

1 Like

Still extremely disappointing that no ARM support is available for MacOS with the flagship synth/sound design product from Steinberg.

The licensing is an entirely different issue - it’s one thing to allow things like Groove Agent to be used with the new system but ALL of the libraries I’ve spent a lot of money on over the years are still dongle based on all of their systems (including Padshop/Retrologue etc). So you are still at the mercy of that system.

It got to the point with this ‘transition’ and the release of Cubase 12 with lack of VST 2 support that I’ve changed DAWs, go-to libraries for drums/synth patches and sound design/samplers and I’m much happier anyway - but that’s where this plan of theirs has ended up for me.

I was an extremely evangelistic Steinberg fanboy, too.

1 Like

It can use the soft licenser but it cannot be moved from the dongle so is basically a useless feature.

1 Like

If you bought Halion, you chose when you activated the license whether to put it on the SeL or the dongle . That choice was the purchaser’s.

1 Like

Will be great if a pop-up will open and will say: “are you sure you want to register Halion here? You will be never able to move it again”… and I don’t think that was even possible a while ago. Unfortunately I had this problem with absolute collection and now I have to use the dongle….

1 Like

These are all reasons why the Elicenser system is being deprecated in favor of the new system.

2 Likes

can’t wait for it!

2 Likes

Halion Sonic is one of the last plugins that does not run natively.
It’s about time…
Any insights about that?