Mac and N8.xxx good for anyone?

This interests me even tho I normally use Nuendo with windows as in the near future I might work also with mac.
So is there anyone how’s using mac and don’t encounter GUI sluggishnes?

I wouldn’t expect any major differences in speed until SB do a major overhaul of the GUI code; which could be quite some time.

Yes, but are all mac based Nuendo 8 daws infected?

Afaik I know, yes. It’s an SB code issue; other daws on the Mac as a whole seem to perform a lot better.

Here two Nuendo 8 working at same studio. Main brain is listed at sign below. N8 is awful about GUI response.
In the other way a MacMini Core2 Duo 8 Gb RAM runs N8 (same projects, wich have about 50 tracks usually) very, very quick about GUI. We could say Mac Pro gets about 15 fps for example with auto scroll, while Mac Mini gets 60 fps.

It’s unusable for me, but then again my computer (cheese grater hexacore) is 7 years old.
There seems to be an issue with ProTools as well, so I guess it’s as much a Steinberg/AVID problem as it maybe is a macOS problem in general:

I had hoped to buy a new machine in 2017 but postponed the decision to 2018. I want to see what Apple has to offer before maybe finally switching to PC. The cheese grater has been the best computer I have ever owned and I would love to stay on mac if the new systems offer a reasonable bang for the buck. I won’t go near anything N8 until the computer problem is solved, it’s just too sluggish for any serious work on my machine.

This is interesting. Pro Tools did have problem a few years ago but they fixed it fairly quickly (I know because I’ve only been on Pro Tools until two years ago). Also, right now on the same computer that Cubendo is on here (I’m on OS 10.12.6), Pro Tools is perfectly fast and smooth. I feel for Steinberg that this is such a challenge, but I can’t and won’t use their programs right now…Logic (I tried it out to see), Reaper, Pro Tools, and Studio One are all super fast and smooth here.

I haven’t checked on my Mac yet, but because I’ve been having sluggishness issues with 8.1 on Windows too I haven’t even dared to go back to the Mac yet.

I have a late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, so pretty modern, and Nuendo is pretty sluggish to the point where it gets really annoying editing fast. In comparison, Reaper is a lot faster and more responsive. King of the hill is Logic, it scrolls and zooms so smoothly with lots of tracks it’s ridiculous how buttery smooth it is.

Agreed: Logic has it down best. But Reaper, Studio, and Pro Tools are all good as well on my system. Logic probably has the advantage of being made by Apple. :slight_smile:

Remember who owns Logic? :wink:

Nuendo 8.1 on Mac Pro 5.1 12-core machine with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 installed.

Responsive as hell… :imp: Sometimes I must click 5x with mouse to “re-locate” timeline cursor.

Sure Apple has the advantage because they control the OS. But as you heard, PT, Reaper and Studio One are all a lot better than Nuendo and performing great. Steinberg has to do their homework to compete. We‘re buying a sportscar here and Nuendo puts a Fiat Uno engine in it. What good is a great sportscar with tons of great pro features if you almost have to push it yourself to get forward.

Yep … :laughing:

Cubase 9.5 has been released and Fabio from Steinberg has mentioned that it has a new graphics sub-system. There is hope…

I think the responsibility here really is shared. Apple sucks because they continuously change stuff up making people supplying products for their platform having to adapt all the time, which costs money. On the other hand Steinberg should really commit to create a great product on both platforms - IF they choose to release it on both platforms.

I really, really hope so.

I won’t lie - the new features on Cubase 9.5 look great - the new curved automation, a (by the looks of it) fantastic click track system that can finally export (yay!), more sends, a sampler track that looks like something I want to use, the smart zoom looks like a minor thing that I reckon will be a bit of a game changer work-wise and editing wise.

And i do wonder what they’re running it on on their demos…it looks well snappy (SB DEVS…let us know!)
I have a top of the line iMac 5k from beginning last year with 32gb…I would love to know how it runs on there - it could keep me from having to investigate other options.

For now, I’m back on N7 on my new PC which does seem a lot snappier than 8.1.

Depends. Normally Apple gives developers heads-up YEARS in advance when technologies get deprecated. And all other DAWs seem to manage (while Logic, we agree, has an advantage). If things would not get deprecated, we‘d still use DOS apps because nobody wanted to develop costly UIs. I‘m sure neither Apple nor MS changes stuff for the sake of changing. Anyway, maybe Apple is a bit responsible, but given the sometimes years-old inconsistencies in UI, SB doesn‘t seem to have the resources to address those properly. Including adapting GFX systems to the latest stabdard.

But this is all just speculation. Would SB talk to us on the forums rather than leave us to rumours and fairytales, we‘d know. But they choose to remain silent and let us cook all our rumours backwards and forwards until judgement day.

Did you notice my post from earlier today?
Steinberg have just released Cubase 9.5 and it has a new graphics sub-system that was implemented to make the GUI snappier. There is hope…