[Mac + Cubase 10.5.20] "Audio recording aborted. The Disk is full!"

Hi,

This error just started popping up today and I don’t understand why. I googled it and found different users having the same issue in time span of the last 10 years (!). However, all of these users are running Cubase on Windows (where the solution revolves around giving admin permissions to Cubase).

Error message:

Please note:

• The error pops up when I’m trying to record MIDI (not audio).
  • My both hard drives are half-empty, so the message doesn’t make any sense.
  • Cubase has the permissions to access hard drives (Mac Settings → Security & Privacy → Privacy).

Here’s are my Mac OS and Cubase versions:

• Mac OS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • Cubase 10.5.20

Cubase version:

Hard drive space:
storage.png
Any help appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Do you have Write permission for the folder, you are recording to, please?

Could you try to trash the Bin, please?

I believe I have all the permissions needed:

No meter where I save the project (Mac OS drive or external portable drive) I’m having the same problem.

I think this might be related to my recent Mac OS upgrade from Mojave to Catalina.

I also trashed the Bin, it didn’t help.

If you are saving to a folder that is using a cloud service (Dropbox, OneDrive) this could be the problem.

I’m not doing that.

So, everything was working normally until (I guess) I upgraded to Catalina.

There is an additional message I’m getting when opening a blank project: Could not create project directory!
could-not-create-project.png

Update: I just managed to start Cubase using sudo in Terminal:

sudo '/Applications/Cubase 10.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Cubase 10.5'

The application opened (it took a while, like in the initial opening). I was able to record MIDI without the message, however having no sound (although the Scarlet is set as the audio interface).

It’s strange - I am the administrator on my Mac, however when starting Cubase by clicking the icon it doesn’t work; starting it via terminal (providing admin password) it does. I’m confused…

This is weird:

If I load an existing project (that I created way back before Catalina), and only then create a new blank project, the MIDI recording in this new blank project works fine.

So literally, if I open a cubase and start from scratch - Cubase shows this error and doesn’t let me record.
But if I have an old, working project open, and then go to File → New Project, then it works.

You have the same problem as me. Did you solve it?

(I know it’s an old topic but in case someone encounters it again I thought I would give my 2 cents…)
I have a friend who had the same problem. It turned out (as it is the case most of the times) that it was because he had a wrong folder project. This can happen, for instance if you open a project directly from a mail message: Cubase tries to open an Audio sub-folder, and it does that in the Mail folder. But then when trying to record something in your project under Cubase, Cubase doesn’t have the permission, and gives you this laconic (and wrong…) message.
You can check your folder project location, for instance by opening the Pool Window (Media menu) or the Project Setup window (Project menu).
The problem is that Cubase does not allow you to change that location (afaik). So you need to use the File/Backup Project menu to create a duplicate project. Once done, if you wish so, you can move the new .cpr file back to the original location (overwriting the old project file), and delete the new (backup) project folder. Then you should be good to go…