Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Dear customers,

We would like to inform you about the current situation regarding compatibility tests on Apple’s latest operating system, El Capitan. In our first statement we were unable to issue a recommendation. We continued to run a considerable number of tests and have come across additional, previously unknown issues. This means that the availability of compatible product versions is further delayed.

We deeply regret the unfortunate news which leads us to advise against updating to OS X 10.11. We’ll keep you posted on anything new in this knowledge base article:

As usual, Steinberg can’t get things right :frowning:
Somehow, Ableton, Propellehed, Tracktiom and others, managed to have Rl Capitan update OK.
WHY can’t Steinberg…?,

I could provide an equally long list of companies who are not or not fully El Capitan ready as well.
It’s important to understand that not everything that breaks with an operating system upgrade can be fixed by us. Sometimes it’s us, sometimes it Apple and Microsoft who have to fix things.
Never change a running system and wait until the dust has settled and everyone confirmed the compatibility before making the switch. This recommendation will most likely remain valid for the OS upgrades to come.


First of all, testing should have started with the developer betas, MONTHS AGO – those are issued by Apple exactly for that purpose, and other developers DO get on with the program.

Steinberg waited for the bloody official release (not even the GM, which was available weeks earlier) to begin testing…

And the “official announcement” we all waited for 3 weeks was just to tell us that “we need more time” – not only we haven’t got a Cubase point update, but not even a roadmap.

And before I hear the BS about waiting to upgrade etc, not everybody who uses Cubase uses it in a dedicated machine just for it that they can keep with an old OS version, and we sometimes need to upgrade to the latest OS to solve other issues and get to use some new feature that’s important to us (including security fixes).

Besides, it’s not Steinberg’s role to tell us when to update our OS. Their role is to make sure the programs we paid for are usable in new versions. Other software houses don’t seem to have that much of a problem with it.

So are those companies Steinberg’s role models or the former?

In that case you can state so in your public announcement: “Sorry, but we’re waiting for a specific fix or fixes from Apple”. Unless this is all hypothetical, and is not the case here.

And never wait until the OFFICIAL RELEASE to begin testing, fixing bugs and giving feedback to Apple, when there are the bloody DEVELOPER releases. This recommendation will ALSO most likely remain valid for the OS upgrades to come.

Also it’s best if third-party software companies don’t dictate what people can and cannot do with their PCs and OS updates. Because “wait until the dust has settled” can also mean “we’re short staffed or lazy and we can’t be bothered, halt your upgrading until we get our act together”.

Indeed, that’s someting we prefer to leave to the OS manufacturers.

Please re-read my post above. Some issues cannot be fixed by third party developers, they need to be fixed by Apple or Microsoft. And I guess this is why operating system updates are released. And just like every software developer even Apple and Microsoft have their priorities in fixing reported issues (which is perfectly fine) so it can happen that even if other companies report issues, fixes/changes might not be available in time.

For instance, there are issues with Microsoft Office 2016 in El Capitan. Who released a fix for that? Apple.
There are issues with Audio Unit plug-ins in El Capitan. Who released a fix just the other day? Apple.

This has nothing to do with being lazy, it just shows that the operating system itself is a highly complex software and not everything is dependent on third parties getting their act together.

It would be nice to know what the issues exactly are that have been found.

Some kind of list or something like that…? Or is it that confidential?

There is a list of issues from both us and Yamaha (for the hardware). I cannot post anything now but we will have a meeting early next week and I hope that we’ll be able to set up a knowledge base article with details afterwards.

A fix is for something that is not working, but I can’t find anything on my mac osx 10.11 that is not working except Cubase 8 :slight_smile:
What should be fixed by Apple exactly? I guess you are in touch with them and they gave you at least an estimated date to get such fix…

This is beginning to look like a shouting match with accusations and excuses, flying all over the place. Everyone’s points has merits. Cubase is a very complex piece of software, and as such needs time to work out any kinks with a new OS version. Therefore Steinberg should have made better use of the betas of El Capitan, a.s.o.

However, Ed, there is one thing that you guys need to accept responsibility for. We were promised a list of identified issues and how the work of solving them was progressing, on October 23. What we got, was a slap in the face! Of cause, this will p**s people off.

I suggest you put together a list of issues that you’ve identified and which you’ve solved. That way we could all see that you don’t sit around, eating chocolate (as some people seem to think :wink: ), but are actually hard at work. This would be very helpful as we can follow the progress. We’ll also be able to see if the reaming issues are on any concern to us. If all the remaining issues are connected with features one never use anyway, maybe one can take the plunge.

And, maybe, your users have identified an issue or two that you’ve missed.

I have a question aswell, Ed. I recently invested in an Avid Artist Control/Mix system. I’ve heard that there are some issues with the EUCON software (and El Capitan). However, I am a bit unsure who will release the fix for it. Is it Steinberg or Avid? Perhaps you could clarify this.

Just one more thing : have you @steinberg also tested 10.11.1 that came out?

Maybe some issues of the list are already fixed by 10.11.1 ?

Just upgraded, Just tried to run Cubase Artist 8.0.30 , no way… I’m stuck here:

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000012191cd98

no able to run the program at all. If you know this has some solution please address me… Thx

@andre4stein, all I can think about is entering in a terminal : "sudo nvram boot-args=“rootless=0” which disables system protection on 10.11, then reboot and try.

Set it to 1 to enable again if it does not matter.

Edit: @andre4stein I assume you have 8.0.30? I can run it on 10.11.1 but it’s the pro version.

Thanks, already disabled it but unfortunately nothing to do.

:blush: If I only had a diff interface

Lots of parts and pieces to check though fellas, just sayin. Many I/O’s, controllers, etc to fix code on

One of the problems is that people seemed to have 8.0.3 working fine on the public betas - but somewhere between those and the actual 10.11 public release, something must have been changed because everything broke. My version is bricked, and won’t even open - but I knew I was looking for trouble taking the advice of the beta users and upgrading wholesale before checking that it was officially supported. FTR I’ve had to wait 3 weeks for the 10.11.1 release to un-break my NI plugs so I could use Logic - and a lot of pain would have been saved if I’d just checked the official announcements first rather than diving straight in, because 8.0.3 was running sweet as a nut.

A lot of companies including Native Instruments had issues with El Capitan. Also, Apple is notorious for breaking things with OS updates, so singling out Steinberg in this case is completely unwarranted.

100% warranted. They should’ve been testing on all the dev betas that went out MONTHS AND MONTHS before the GM candidate was decided on. This is on Steinberg for being slow to adopt to new standards, update old tech, and fix their product as usual.

Native Instruments always has software issues - they should not be the standard by which we judge software companies.

I sure hope they haven’t. That would be a huge waste of time. Apple has been known to break things in fairly late builds, so it makes no sense for Steinberg to go through the headache of developing on beta OS X and Xcode builds, and then finding it doesn’t work after all in GM.

I don’t know enough to say whether Steinberg should have started work on this weeks ago or not but I do find it disappointing that some weeks later Steinberg seem to have done… nothing.

We’ve all been waiting for the 23rd and we still don’t even know what the problems are, let alone when the fixes are coming. And now we have to wait until Monday for Steinberg to have another meeting to discuss that!

Perhaps I’m doing them a dis-service but I don’t get the impression that the lights are burning long into the night at Steinberg Towers…