Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Don’t know who you are talking to @paaltio, but I disagree. I’ve had to do iOS dev against beta iOS and Xcode releases. Yes, there are issues, as there are with anything beta. By the time they drop a beta release, they don’t change a whole lot. It’s usually fielding and addressing radars around issues with the APIs as they are within that beta.

I have found that the iOS/OSX beta builds_are good indicators of what final builds will look like. I can’t think of a time I had to make any significant code changes to accommodate a GM build at the last minute, after having done dev against a beta, put it that way. I have had to wait for them to fix issues that affect my code, but if there is change in the API, there are typically options that allow me to stick with the code I have to some degree.

I would argue that It is healthy software development - when you are building against a platform that you_know is going to change significantly once a year - to proactively develop against the next release of the platform you are developing for. Not doing so leaves you with a pile of very upset long-standing, dedicated customers. If what you are saying is true, the iOS app store should be brought to its knees with broken apps every time they rolled out a new release.

The Apple media outlets had already put out the message that this was a fairly innocuous maintenance release, which is what prompted me to upgrade, at a time I usually don’t. I feel like the messaging from Steinberg was clear enough, pervasive enough and early enough to stop me. Not good business.

As for resources, it takes a Dev or QA person half a day to spin up a beta build, load an Application in development onto it with some array of known common setups, and start reporting the things that are going to be problematic, and another hour or two after that to upgrade and perform some cursory checks again. It doesn’t take a big Dev team to do that much, and they could have put the message out sooner based on findings at the minimum. That little bit of effort would have better informed my decision making, and kept me working.

Couple of hardware updates that I discovered:

  • Focusrite reports that a number of their products will work if both the interface and C8 are set to 44.1 or 48k at launch time:

I tried the same things they are reporting with my Duet 2. Here’s the deal:

  • Many of the Focusrite products will_work with C8 if you set both C8 and the Focusrite device affected by the no audio problem (the Scarlett series and one or two others) to 44.1k or 48k prior to launching it. The wording on their site seems to imply that once launched, you can then flip to 88.2 or 96 if you have a project running at that rate, but I can’t confirm that.

  • I have been able to confirm that the Duet 2 will work with C8 on El Capitan at 44.1k and 48k. However, if I try to launch C8 into a 44.1 or 48k project verify that the audio is working, then try to flip that project to anything above 48 or open another project above that rate and adjust the rates in my Duet 2 and C8 accordingly, I lose audio again. So in a nutshell, you can still work at 44.1 or 48 on the Duet until Steinberg sorts this out.

Flagging every thread about El Capitan since it prevents me from upgrading my mac.
By the way, there should be a sticky message around “Don’t buy the latest mac as Cubase won’t run and you won’t be able to downgrade the OS” isn’t it?

I absolutely love updates like the rest of you but this time I did the sensible thing and waited for confirmation.
I still haven’t upgraded yet, i’d rather have Cubase and all my Native Instruments stuff working.
I’m more annoyed at Apple for promoting the blind upgrade of their operating system without warning people there could be some very inconvenient compatibility issues.
Also, I believe Apple should be doing more to make things compatible. I see a future where they are so pushed to release updates to keep the market excited that they expect 3rd party developers to sort out all the problems they might cause…
Iknow nothing about programming though so i’ll just continue to wait patiently :slight_smile:

Smart man, @HarrySound. I filed a ticket with Apogee. This was their response:

“After checking with Steinberg, it doesnt appear as though Cubase 8 is compatible with El Capitan. The Duet runs off of the Mac’s CoreAudio driver, and if its working in every other software, its likely due to Cubase not being compatible. Please contact Steinberg for more information.”

Note that, as reported on their Mac OS X El Capitan Compatibility Info page, for their Firewire audio interfaces, Duet and Ensemble, Apogee is:

… ending official support of these products on OS X El Capitan and beyond, …

No official word from RME regarding their Firewire audio, though ones like the FF800 and FF400 were officially discontinued anyway. However, I have asked the question on their Official Statement about compatibility with El Capitan? thread, so we shall see what they come back with.

Looks like El Capitan has the sheer drop of its namesake, as far as FW goes!

At least Win 10 continues with support for FW, for the moment, but the writing is on the wall now. Like most FF users, we’ll probably keep ours until they or the PCIe FW cards drop, though, as we are not really using them right now, it might be a good time to sell them, while there might still be some buyers on the market for for them. However, I would prefer to hang onto them until AoIP interfaces with smaller IO numbers get released.

I just updated El Capitan 10.11.2 Beta (15C27e) and Cubase Artist 8.0.3 still crashes before it loads.

I’m using Scarlett 2i2 and have installed their classCompliantMode driver. Still no luck being able to use Artist. Just reporting in, in case its somehow of use.

Maybe the general release of 10.11.2 will fix this issue.


I was also not able to use my Scarlet interface at first (18i20 in my case). I had it working using aggregate device and it was kind of usable. My problem with that solution for me was that my ADAT inputs had some weird issues (input not lining up properly, noisy buzz on working inputs, etc.) but it might be a working alternative for you as you don’t have any ADAT ports on the 2i2. So for my part I decided to give some other DAW a run while Steinberg fix the issue. By the way, the interface is working flawlessly in Studio One… I’m actually trying the demo of Studio One 3 and I seriously considering getting it as they offer it as a crossgrade. I could use it as a fallback DAW as I still prefer the features in Cubase, but I find them very slow to follow upgrades and all… and plus there is no dongle to put up with!

I found the instructions somewhere in this forum; here is the link to the post:

Hope this help!

So are there any further infos when we will get an el capitan working version?
Once again the steinberg company prooved its inability to provide a flawless osx upgrade process…
Thats inacceptable.
But it also seems that they just dont care about user - im really sorry to sad that but - its always the same

They care. In the meantime maybe you should try your hand at learning another DAW? and then when ol’ Steiny is back up you can have some new stems to load into Cubase! Good luck

The bare minimum would be to provide us a date at which they will give more news.

definitely no and yes. i can work with other daws… perhaps i will change completely to logic like many others. but “not back again” :slight_smile:
the thing would have been so simple, el capitan was no surprise release… everyone knew that the new release is around the corner. but steinberg was not fussed about that, cause they didnt care.

ah and perhaps the webmaster from this forum could take the time and take care of the issues with tapatalk, cause the steinberg forum is the only platform in my arsenal that does not work with tapatalk.

thank you

What’s all the fuss with El Capitan? It’s not exactly groundbreaking. The only thing you will likely notice is the new Beachball spinning wheel, since the OS itself is still buggy (I have it on a laptop). Go make some music and enjoy C8 on Yosemite, which works brilliantly.

Well, there’s plenty more! iOS 9 requires El Capitan for full synchronisation. Apples new keyboard/trackpad/mouse requires El Capitan. And on it goes…

And if you buy a new Mac, El Capitan is your only choice!

That’s my problem. I’m blocked upgrading my aging iMac.

I’ll accept having bought a new mac with El Capitan pre-installed, but for the other reasons…? Come on. People have been making music on computers for generations without the need for Apple’s latest mouse or having to have their notes sync’d with their phone.

Cubase will be compatible when it’s ready. Until then, there’s really no much point worrying!

Which is beside the point? Who told you everybody uses their computers JUST for Cubase and music-making?

And what business is of a company to dictate when I should or should not install a new OS, by stalling to update my paid-for product?

No they don’t (care). Public Beta of El Capitan (free to everyone), was available for testing 4 months before release.
Obviously Steinberg didn’t care to even notice, yet alone to download and test it with their products…
Suddenly and totally unannounced El Capitan appears (I’m being sarcastic here) and all the hell beaks loose… What a joke…
As it is, out of “big 4” DAWS, Cubase is THE only one NOT compatible with El Capitan.
PS; Doesn’t bother me much at this stage, since I’m also using (El Capitan certified) - Logic, Live, Reason and Traktion.

New Mac? I have a brand new Mac Pro that I installed an older OS on by just downloading it and creating a boot drive. Apple even states that your previous OS downloads are stored on the App Store for you under the Purchases tab. Accessories? Apple is not the only place in town to buy an Apple trackpad. Don’t fall for the MUST UPGRADE BS that Apple does every September - especially on an OS with such a rocky start.