Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Or maybe you can’t see outside of your provincial bubble that there are people out there that don’t use their PCs only for Cubase/Music, and need to upgrade for several reasons besides new OS features (from hardware compatibility, to needing the new OS for the iOS/Mac developer program). Or, you know, simply want to buy a new machine, and those come with El Capitan since a while.

I’m not sure why you felt the need to school people about how they should use their computers (and with racist BS like “iPeople” etc.). Did anybody tell you how to use yours?

Some of us have been around using Cubase in PCs and Macs alike since before it was even at the “SX” version, and we’ve seen Steinberg neglect to fix bugs or compatibility issues and then come with a paid update for them for decades.

Where’s the Hi-DPI / retina support for example? That’s been out for years already, and most DAWs support it since a whole year or more, some rolling out support in minor versions. With Steinberg it will be ANOTHER paid update.

Sorry, are we that used to bending backwards for things we’ve paid for, that we’re seriously suggesting multi-boot as a viable solution?

Yeah, it would work. No, it’s not an acceptable workaround.

Thanks Ed, I look forward to getting more information on 7.5 and MR816 compatibility with El Capitan.

In response to some of the posts here I thought I’d mention my scenario.

I run a mixed media front of house operation and a part of that is Audio. Alongside Cubase I also run Final Cut Pro and the Adobe CC suite. Recent updates to CC have made running 10.10 untenable with frequent crashes, strange out of memory errors and other issues that 10.11 appear to fix.

Although I have Logic installed I much prefer using Cubase and run an MR816csx for the integration features. However, as 7.5 covers all the features I need paying AU$149 to upgrade to 8.0 seemed unnecessary.

So long story short I’m in a position where Ideally I’d move my computers to 10.11 but then I’d have to use Logic until 7.5 becomes updated. The big problem, however, is that the MR816 would then be bricked and thats a deal breaker. The unit is only 2.5 years old and fits my needs perfectly so the other option of selling and moving to another unit seems like an expensive and unnecessary hassle.

All I need is to know is whether they will be supported and when. If not then fine, I sell the MR and use Logic. Thats not my preference but in an environment where only 10-15% of my output is audio I have to ensure my workflow is efficient for the majority of tasks.

https://shop.steinberg.net/c/shop?ID=46056

https://shop.steinberg.net/c/shop?ID=46057

Looks like we’re going to have to shell out for 10.11 compatibility.

Where did you get that from, it’s not on the Steinberg site…?

Yep and find out all they can come up with is a paying new 8.5 version ! :slight_smile:

Disgraceful conduct by Steinberg. Considering they consider themselves a major software developer there inability to make there products compatable within a reasonable amount of time is laughable.

Ed.
Since the “update downtime” the knowledge article regarding El Capitan compatibility

now displays an article about Windows 10 compatibility!

Please fix a.s.a.p.

8.5 crashes on startup.

This.

But in real life, there is a company called Steinberg that produces a significant product. They hire the staff they need to maintain and develop that product. It’s a full time job; everyone from marketing to hardware and software engineering, to tech support is involved, and their managers are reporting to the real-life CEO and Board of Directors on their progress. On these reports and expectation, financial planners are busily doing business, and they project uninteresting things like cash flow, margin, profit, payroll etc. on which the company runs. Long range business plans are defined. And maintained.

Now, there’s one thing about software development that most folks don’t get. You can have fast development, bug free development, or new features. You get to pick two.

When Apple or Microsoft drop a new Beta or release on the public, what exactly do customers expect staff to do? Clone themselves? Continue their development, follow their business plans? Stop development, setting aside established goals, in order to respond? Hire more staff, increasing the staff budget? But their business plans can not be set aside. Think the CEO wants to tell the BOD that? The BOD is happy with staff if their goals are met. If not, they tend to find staff who will do better. That’s Business.

Personally, I hope Steinberg continues to work this way. Changing horses in midstream has never been a good idea. Keeping focus and executing well is much better. I’ve been using this software for a long time. I’ve made the last few upgrades of both OS X and Cubase without any excitement whatsoever. I think that’s what it’s really about.

You talk a lot about the poor company. Any word for the customers, without whom there would be no company?

I’ve attempted to contact support several times with no success. Each time I filedl in the required information on the support ,it’s rejected. Hopefully I get some answer here.

Cubase 8.5 crashes on startup. It gets as far as vst plugin and then down it goes.

Ed, does this mean that there will be no fix for Cubase 8.5 running El Capitan until the Dec 22 date mentioned earlier?

Naturally, I’m extremely disappointed in how this whole affair has been handled by Steinberg.

Try to temporarily remove all non-Steinberg plugins, to make sure that it’s not an incompatible plug-in that is the cause of the problem.

Svenne,

Thanks so much. I was able to track the offending vst. It was a free Native Instruments plug called Replika.

Now I’m up and running again. Thanks again.

I was just about to upgrade to 8.5 and then install El Capitan , luckily I read this post as I have a UR28M interface too.
I am a little confused because there is an expectation of compatibility at the release of a new product update such as 8.5 but now my interface is incompatible.

(I would just like to mention that when 8 was release my interface performed amazingly, but then the first update after that I had drop out issues. It seems fine now though with the 03 update)

I would like to upgrade to El Capitan but I shall wait further. I guess the 8.5 upgrade can go ahead on Yosemite. Lets be honest Yosemite is a pretty great OS anyway but I was thinking of getting a Macbook , this has put me off, along with the dongle poking out the side…

Just keep us updated Steinberg!

Just a mention folks, I have upgraded and found work arounds for a few issues but to be honest unless there is a feature in Capitan that you cannot live without such as the iPad integration I have yet to see any real world improvement in performance.
Just had a look at the reviews on the Apple Store (not that I rely on those), and El Cap seems to be getting very mixed reviews.
Whatever Apple really changed under the hood there must have been some major audio engine changes to have caused this much chaos.

Hoping everyone gets what they need working as soon as possible…

I will start by saying that I love Cubase. Love it. It’s an indispensable tool for me. It does some things that other DAWs don’t seem to do quite as elegantly or as efficiently. That is why I continue to check in here. I want it to be the wonderful, useable product that I love using, and it pains me that it is partially broken right now.

With all due respect, your assessments of software development are not true. You can have all three. It’s called Agile software development. When used in concert with good practices like TDD, you get all of those things. You do have to prioritize the 3 based on what customers are asking for (see this thread), but good software practices and process dictate that you are managing a healthy mix of all three.

As the 8.5 release attests, new features, driving new sales, keeping the Windows user base happy, and Mac users who are not on a brand new Mac machine running El Capitan happy, seems to be the things that Steinberg has chosen as their priorities. That means a fair portion of the existing userbase suffers, myself among them, and none of us can keep our machines up to date with the latest OS and the fixes that come with it. It is what it is.

I, as a paying customer, going all the way back to pre-Cubase, Pro 24 on an Atari 1040 in the late 80’s/early 90’s, kind of expect them to have their QA dept or a junior dev resource of some kind, to load the current version of Cubase on the latest beta, do a cursory pass to validate baseline functionality, and give me a more proactive heads up on whether to install and update or not, yes. Or, better yet, proactively fix anything broken in the existing release that isn’t bound to API changes in the next version of the OS. That doesn’t necessarily require additional resources, and manages my expectations as a long-standing, dedicated, user of their products. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

Not sure what you mean by “Changing horses midstream”. If by that, you mean that they should continue focus on new features first and maintaining parity with new releases second, then I have no doubt they won’t let you down. The host software has to evolve and fix things though, just like theirs does. If that isn’t your concern, I reckon you’ll always be satisfied with what they do.

To tomtomlog, as far as the Windows users comments go, it’s a curious comparison. El Capitan was a maintenance_release. Maintenance, as in “Service Pack”, not major, like Windows 10. For myself and probably most of the people expressing their grievances in this forum, I’d venture to guess that they rarely pull the trigger until Steinberg says it is okay to do so. Most of us updated in this case_because it was a maintenance release. It isn’t an assumption I will make again in the future.

I was a Windows/Cubase user for years also, tomtomlog, and if I still were, history tells me to know not to apply a major - major, not SP update - like Windows 10 without checking. I would have waited until Steinberg said it was okay to do it, and would have been equally “chill” and happy with my setup in the meantime. Apple’s OSX roadmap is quite a bit different. They roll releases in a more incremental fashion, so I would venture to guess that the users have a different set of expectations.

Many thanks to the folks updated to 8.5 and reported their findings, btw. I’m glad I checked here first, because the system requirements on the page here:

Clearly states:
Mac OS X Version 10.10/10.11

Like the rest of you, my interpretation was that, despite being told I would have to wait until the end of December for a fix, I can pay 50 bucks now to fix the problem, or wait until the end of December and get it fixed for free. Kind of upsetting. Good to know in a weird way that even though Steinberg documented that it works on El Capitan, 8.5 still doesn’t work, doesn’t solve the problems, still have to wait until the end of December.

I do hope the moderators check in on these forums and the feedback in these forums bubbles up to the tech team somehow. Thanks all.

Please use this URL https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/mac-os-x-1011-el-capitan-product-compatibility-info.html

Hi guys.
I can’t understand is Cubase 8.5 compatible with E; Capitan or not. Can anybody give right answer?

Thank you.