Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks (Early Warnings?)


I think it would be a good idea to announce any possible issues before Mavericks OSX 10.9 becomes available.

Seems like some users upgraded to Windows 8.1 before an OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT about possible issues was released.

Just trying to be helpful maybe.


there is an announcement about Windows 8.1 compatibily in the Homepage, News section:

When a new OS comes out, one should always wait for tests from the Developers / Manufacturers - software compatibility, driver availability, devices stability might all be affected.


So will there be a compatibility announcement regarding OSX 10.9?


This would be useful.


Looks like it going to be free today…

Yep so who going to be the first to jump in?
Go on, dare you!

Guys, just wait. It’s not worth running into problems now. Eventually everything will be tested and there will be updates.

JFK turns around to Neil Armstrong … “Neil, just wait…wait to see if the Russians can do it”

Go ahead and do it then. Let us know how it works. Thanks!

A free update, must say I’m tempted as I’ve got nothing too critical on at the moment - on the other hand…

Installing on one of my Macs. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

tried it already and found cubase works but my mr816x would not .checked the device and ports but no sound .so i just restored back to 10.8.5 .


I was just about ready to click ‘Continue’ but I just bought a UR28m which has some of the same business inside as the MR816x (i think)

How easy is it to restore back?

i just now upgraded to OSX 10.9… and Cubase runs the same… oh wait my Cubase machine is Win 7 and gonna stay that way as Win 8 .1 is horrid looking… Might give Cubase a try on my MAC again to see if i can get it to work and not spike the ASIO anytime i even look at a guitar or VST. 13" macbook pro does not like audio at all least mine dosent

The reason why I posted this question to Steinberg is because I knew the imminent release of OSX 10.9 for free.

This would put a lot of users in a place to quickly upgrade, I’d think Steinberg as a developer would have early access to the OS like many others, they’d test it and be able to say if users SHOULD or SHOULDN’T upgrade just yet.

When you release an announcement AFTER the fact like they did with Windows 8.1 you run the risk of many NEW and existing users upgrading without knowing there could be issues.

Anyway, I’m not upgrading to OSX 10.9 because I own a MR816csx.

Hopefully in the future Steinberg can/will give Pre-OS-Release announcements.

restore is easy if you backed up on Time Machine ,but if you do you may need to backup all your drives again as Time Machine sees a restore a a new osx .so I’m in the middle of a 2tb back up .so do not upgrade to 10.9 if you have an mr816 yet .what i noticed was all the outputs did not have names anymore in 10.9, but named -1 -2 ect . still didn’t get any sound though ?
so im sticking with 10.8.5 for now .

oh if you restore just hold down the alt key on startup and select your restore drive you will find your main drive is 10.9 restore so i picked my backup for restore which is 10.8.5 .
just got 9 hours before its finished though (backing up)

As you may know, Apple’s Mac OS X 10.9 has just been released. Currently we are testing all Steinberg products for OS X 10.9 compatibility. The testing is still going on, so we cannot provide you with the final results.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise. Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

We are already working on updates for affected products in order to make them available as soon as possible. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to visit for news and updates.

*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.