MAC user: best working OSX

Which OSX runs best for Cubase9

• 10.12 Sierra
  • 10.11 El Capitan
  • 10.10 Yosemite
  • 10.9 Mavericks

0 voters

I wonder which OSX runs best for Cubase 9. So i made up this poll so that everyone can chosse the OSX they´re most happy with.

I voted for 10.12, mainly because there are no audio drop-outs on the system level anymore.

Appart from these, I would vote for 10.6.8. :wink:

Btw: I like this thread. Good idea, thank you!

Appart from these, I would vote for 10.6.8. > :wink:

Cubase dragged me out of Snow Leopard still clinging to the door frame. On Mavericks now but it left me unwilling to upgrade further unless I have no choice. Went from twelve second startup time to time for a cigarette, plus other unsnappy, unfriendly issues. Thankfully, though unsupported, 10.9 still works fine with Cubase, but I can’t bring myself to vote for it. El Capitan is the last OS my tower can grate. Would be interested if anyone likes it better than Mavericks. All I see is Apple increasingly wresting control out of my hands.

After trying all the versions and updates from 8 / 8.5 / 9 I found that version 8.0.3 with Mavericks 10.9.5 is the most responsive and enjoyable to use. Cubase 9 is also more responsive on OS 10.9.5 and doesn’t suffer from the GUI sluggishness that you find on OS 10.11 / 10.12. A lot of audio files on the screen in the same area will slow the GUI responsiveness down a lot on OS 10.11 / 10.12 - this doesn’t happen nearly as badly on 10.9.5.

Some other reasons I stay with 8.0.3:

• Drag and drop TO mediabay - audio files and midi files. Incredible way to sound design, process fx on audio file and then drag to mediabay will create a version of that file with fx baked into it but in the session you still have the original with process history to undo if needed. Also works liked Ableton .alc files with midi - saves preview of the midi instrument with channel fx attached. Same as exporting midi file but just nice to drag and drop.

• Mediabay loads instantly. I can’t stand waiting for the slow Mediabay loading in the later versions.

• Plug ins show preset names in the mixer, just dig that for some reason.

• Elastique audio quality is good, Cubase 9 currently has that issue to iron out.

MediaBay loading time is exactly the same in C8 and C9. The diference is C8 shows First few Files immediately. C9, for safety reason, shows it once all files are loaded completely. So it looks it’s slower but it isn’t.

Cubase 8 on Maverick was working really good for me.

Thanks for posting that info.

It warms my heart to hear others missing OS 10.6.8. Indeed the most stable and luxurious operating system for media professionals. I still have it sitting in the closet on my last two Macbook Pro’s in case I need to resurrect some older projects dependably.

I’m currently running CB 8.04 on Yosemite 10.10.5 . Rock Solid. I’m terrified to upgrade my OS or Cubase. It seems both have plenty of issues right now. Apple even botched the new Macbook pro design. Frightening.

I always partition my internal hard drive whenever I get a new computer so when the time comes I can install a new OS without disrupting my other boot volume.

So, I’m not sure if my vote counts because I’m presently on the sidelines waiting for the bugs to get worked out with Cubase 9. Honestly, the only thing in 9 that seems attractive to me is the new sampler track.

My studio 2013 MacPro (last of the pre-trashcans) works OK on 10.10 with C8.5. I haven’t gone to C9 because it has nothing I want over 8.5.

I updated my ancient 2009 MBP to El Capitan, I use it for small location jobs with a Steinberg UR242.

DISASTER!! I get random dropouts in the recordings which I never got with 10.10. Updated the drivers of course.

Of course no interest from Steinberg in this issue. Last time I will be buying Steinberg hardware. RME works fine on the MBP with 10.11 and C8.5