[macOS] Cubase crash after plug-in removed

Hi,

This is my first post here. I was adviced from other Steinberg forums to post here, because there is a strange issue with my plug-in.
Plug-in works out fine and perfectly when it is used, but once it’s removed from a track and I attempt to add any sort of a new track, Cubase crashes and I am not able to track it down. Maybe devs in here could point me to right direction? :blush:

I’ve mentioned this in the Steinberg forums too: this issue is Cubase specific. Studio One, Reason, Reaper, Live… They all work without issues.

Here is my post from the Steinberg forums: Cubase crashes after few specific steps - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I ran vst2xscanner with following results:

<vst2xplugin>
	<path>
		/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Mystery Islands Music/JP-80x0 Editor x64.vst
	</path>
	<subCategory>
		Instrument
	</subCategory>
	<cid>
		565354343465306A702D383078302065
	</cid>
	<editorCid>
		565345343465306A702D383078302065
	</editorCid>
	<name>
		JP-80x0 Editor x64
	</name>
	<vendor>
		Mystery Islands Music
	</vendor>
	<sdkVersion>
		VST 2.4
	</sdkVersion>
	<vendorVersion>
	</vendorVersion>
	<latencySamples>
	</latencySamples>
	<canDoublePrecision>
	</canDoublePrecision>
	<audioInputBusCount>
	</audioInputBusCount>
	<audioOutputBusCount>
	</audioOutputBusCount>
	<mainAudioInputArr>
	</mainAudioInputArr>
	<mainAudioOutputArr>
	</mainAudioOutputArr>
</vst2xplugin>

…and vstscanner with following results:

<plugin>
	<path>
		/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Mystery Islands Music/JP-80x0 Editor x64.vst
	</path>
	<error>
		Bundle does not export the required &apos;bundleEntry&apos; function
	</error>
</plugin>

My build target is set to 10.9 (I know I know, but there are so manu users still stuck with the old systems…)

I hope someone could give me a hint why this is happening.

Thank you.
-Jani

Hi,
it’s most likely that you have run into the objective-c runtime bug. To solve this you have to

1. Set the Deployment Target of your plug-in to at least Version 10.8
  2. Uncheck the „Implicitly Link Objective-C runtime Library“ in the Xcode Project settings.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
sorry I was away trying to figure this out.

I did try those steps, but that did not resolve the issue. It is out of my hands to debug it with xcode as the plug-in has been already removed from Cubase when this happens. I’m am totally clueless of why this happens. None of our offices other DAWs does this.
It always crashes in the same method.
How to resolve this?

I have re-installed everything to double & even quad check this out, but nothing helped out.
Is there a way for you to debug Cubase runtime with the plug-in to see what is going on? :confused:

This crash points to a malfunction of the objective-c runtime because it crashes at

0   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x00007fff7d937be4 search_method_list(method_list_t const*, objc_selector*) + 1

Thus you’re not correctly cleaning up your use of objective-c. There’s nothing I can debug. Which custom objective-c stuff are you using?

Cheers,
Arne